Any Kings of Leon fans....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:51 am

It was a massive KoL craze here in Sweden about 5 years ago. I saw them at the Roskilde Festival. It was great, but they only played for about 40 minutes..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

eeyore
Rocker

Post by eeyore » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 am

I really like them,I love the guys voice and the whole band sounds generally,I get slightly peeved when folk refer to one band being able to outplay another,I personally don,t believe thats what its all about.We,d all be listening to jazz and Yes if all it took was the best musicians(plus I,d never get near to playing in a band)Please don,t get me wrong I also love hearing Matt Bellamy play I just don,t think only the greatest musicians should be able to make music.Off my soapbox now.:)
Nick Fender Telecaster (Bigsby),Les Paul Standard, Yamaha SA-700(Bigsby),Battered old Ibanez Acoustic. An ever revolving door of pedals,Orange AD30HTC into Marshall twin cab....The weak link in this signal chain is the one at the beginning..

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:13 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Van Cleef</i>
<br />i want to start a band called The Goo Goo Kings of Matchbox Nickelcreed
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Lol...

KOL have been around for quite a while now. They amassed a good base of support from their initial stuff and have now hit a wider fan base. Good luck to them... don't think they'll disappear overnight, but I don't think they're a global phenomenon.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Deacon Blues</i>
i heard a funny story about them from a friend who works in the business. supposedly when they first got kind of big, they were the most arrogant young punks around. talking sh!t about fans and what not. well one day some manager scared the s--- out of them with a stern warning about how there are 100 bands who sound just like them and don't have the attitude they have. supposedly they became a completely different band after that and are now really professional.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Not sure exactly how professional - apparently the reason they canceled their recent tour was the singer has relapsed into rampant alcoholism!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />Well Brian... I used to quite like them when they were more raw, stripped down and energetic, but I have to say I really don't like their new album. Obviously they've suddenly got a lot more mainstream success as a result of it, but on the downside I think they traded in the quirkiness that made them unique in exchange for a 'safe' sound that would win more fans. I can't begrudge any band success, it's what we all want I guess, but it makes me a bit sad when bands I like water their sound down to appeal to the masses.

My exact thoughts!

I first heard 'Aha Shake Heartbreak' and loved it, so I listened to their first album.

But now I can't turn on a television or a radio without hearing them - it kind of ruins it for me :(
Jamie T

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:12 am

We play a little game called 'gig bingo' to help pass the time on tour - you each write down 10 things that you think might happen, such as 'guitarist spills pint of beer that was balanced on his stack' or 'band playing to backing track go hopelessly out of time' ;)

You just choose the most cliched gig things, and more often than not you're surprised at how often a bunch of thosde things DO happen!

Lately, 'someone saying they love Sex On Fire' has become a popular choice and a surefire winner! Every gig we've done recently, Sex On Fire comes on the radio or over the PA and someone within earshot ALWAYS says 'oh, I love this song!' - I think I might snap and assault the next person who does that!! Nah, not really, but it is amazing - it's not that great, is it?? I personally cannot stand that song, to me it just sounds like a drunkard trying to sing a karaoke version of a U2 song about STDs ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I can't stand the singing voice.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

WOW! that's exactly what I love about the band.......a uniquie singer! :D

I adore his singing voice, hes kinda like a more melodic Dave Grol.

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 pm

i love em:D

Companyman
Orange Hero

Post by Companyman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 pm

good band....don't listen to the young upstarts here...as soon as an Indie band see's any success, they lose their street cred!
Same thing happened to Interpol, when they signed with a major label...immediately they were "treading water" "lost their edge"...yadda yadda yadda ! If you like it, it is good ! When I was in graduate school for Fine Art, we worked on our abilities to critique others work more than we worked on actually producing Art...what I came away with was ...huge debt and this opinion... If you like it , it is good despite what those "in the know" say about it. I kinda wish I didn't go to graduate school ! :-D
http://www.myspace.com/earmarksaints
http://www.myspace.com/ceoman

My user name is everything that I am NOT !

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

i like few older songs - but in general i find this band to be average and nothin special
ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I can't stand the singing voice.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

WOW! that's exactly what I love about the band.......a uniquie singer! :D

It's plenty better than Chad Croaker from Nickleback (yes, Croaker). It's an interesting song, has a very cool feel to it.

And it makes me want a burst semi. Blast you Brian! :) Hope you're having a great weekend!

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Funny, I've just finished preparing "Use Somebody" for the rehersal tomorrow :)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mre1208</i>
<br />i love em:D

Great to see you and your lovely sig mre1208! :)

RockerAIC
Tiny Terror

Post by RockerAIC » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 pm

I like some of their songs like The Bucket and Use Somebody, but then they have songs like Charmer that are quite bad and you wonder if it's the same band. Really good songs and really bad songs.

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:39 am

I really like 'em.

I'd have to disagree with Teddy!

I've seen them live a few times from youth and young manhood - where they played with small combos miked by hanging the mike through the handle - to last december the only by the night tour with a big production number, screens and big PA and gear etc.

I think they have grown and progressed and stayed intresting. It would be easy to churn out the same old type of material.

They've done four albums and each one has (IMO) moved forward.

I must admit only by the night when I first listened to the CD I wasn't too sure, but the live gig won me over! :D
Mark