New Steel Jazzmaster & other steel guitars/wVideo

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by k o y l</i>
<br />I think I found the new pickups for the guitar.

I stumble upon this on eBay:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The P-33 / P-33F pickup set handmade by David Barfuss !

This is a special pickup set- comes with a P-33 soapbar style split-bucker pickup for the bridge position and a P-33F Split-bucker for the neck position.This set gives you a growling P-90 tone in the bridge position and a Strat tone for the neck position.Noiseless singlecoil tone that fits into PAF mounting rings and PAF style route.

The tone of the P-33 bridge pickup is amazing big and fat with a sweet middle timbre , alike a good old P-90.But without all the noise and hum you recieve wehn using single coil pickups.

The P-33F neck pickup is a split-coil bucker wich uses alnico rods in the coil. The design is loaned from LEO´s old bass pickups wich were build for a good tone but still humchanceling.
From the P-33 F in neck position you get a strat alike tones from your humbucker guitar,verry open with a nice chime.

The P-33 / P-33F Split Single set comes with open nickle plated german-silver covers , Alnico II magnets for tons of sustain and sweet low end. Vintage style bottomplate with short legs and single braided shield cable and a great vintage vibe. This auction is for bridge and neck position pickup. Both pickups are wound with 42 awg magnet wire.The bridge pickup is wound to 8,5k ohm and the neck pickup is wound to 7,7 K ohm .<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I wrote the guy (David Barfuss) explaining him I'd need the bass to have a clear, brassy sound like single coils have and asked if he could put alnico rod magnets on the low strings for doing so (the high strings will remain alnico 2) and he answered within an hour saying he can do this for the same price.
He will also use Alnico 5 for the bridge pickup for more treble and attack.

I looked on his website and he make pretty nice pickups other than those and especially for Jazzmasters.
I'm also intrigued by his Travis Bean pickup repros...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
They look pretty cool. Does he have any sound samples?
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 am

There are links for a few pickups but that's it.
Someone told me on another forum that he was very happywith his vintage voiced Jazzmasters pickups (and he own several Jazzmasters)

Here is website btw: http://www.barfuss-pickups.de/index.php
The Sound is Blue like an Orange Noise

Experimental Ambient/Industrial Guitar Improvisations: Le Principe d'Inconstance: ALBUM & MIX downloadable for FREE.

Cinematic Post-Rock: Autumn/Ether

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 am

hmmm

i am definitely thinking about getting ssome different pickups for may jazzy in the new year...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Pickup ordered (in black).
They will be ready for shipping in about a week. :)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Van Cleef</i>
<br />hmmm

i am definitely thinking about getting ssome different pickups for may jazzy in the new year...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Maybe I can help... I've owned and still own several models from Curtis Novak.

Experimental Ambient/Industrial Guitar Improvisations: Le Principe d'Inconstance: ALBUM & MIX downloadable for FREE.

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:40 pm

I received a mail from David Barfuss, the guy who makes the pickup saying he wound AND shipped them already !! Wow !! :eek:

Nice Christmas present ! This will accelerate things a lot !

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I received the pickups and sent them with the guitar to the luthier... i can't wait to have it back !

Btw, I found this video showing a blues band with 2 guitar players: the singer is apparently playing a Fender custom shop Rory Gallagher Strat and the other guitar player is playing a Telecaster made by Loïc Le Pape... You'll see the Tele has no reason to envy the strat.. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFa6vI7GYw0

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 am

<b>Loïc Le Pape built this Manson replica</b> (Mathew Bellamy's guitar) but the real novelty about it is that's <b>it's his 1st guitar using stainless steel </b>and from what I heard it sounds great (and look good too). 8)

Still waiting for my Jazzmaster btw... but soon..

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:36 pm

She's back !!

Here are the pics:

The pickups sound just as I expected: The neck is very close a JM pickup to my ear.. not the same but the differences are difficult to explain but it has what I like in a neck JM pickup so that's great.
The bridge pickup is in between a JM pup and a P90 I think: focused like a P90 but clear like a JM pup..
..well enough words, you'll hear them soon.. ;)

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:42 pm

I have to say, that is cool as sh!t! Very nice, I want a couple...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Here's a demo video featuring the new pickups (and a bad humor ) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJAatQxhRY

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm

It's a bit bright and metallic for my taste...wonder why... ;)
Pretty interesting nonetheless.

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 pm

I actually have another (wood) Jazzmaster that is even brighter than this.. I like a really sharp tone. :twisted:
I don't think it comes from the steel body: I asked for alnico 5 magnet for the bridge pickup for example, which is not common on bridge P90 pickups because it's considered very aggressive sounding.. but I love it !

What I found really fantastic about this guitar & pickups is when you listen to the distorded tone, it's almost like you hear 2 sounds: some kind of very clean sound on top and the real dirt underneath.. I only noticed this while working on the video..

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Some news:
<b><u>If you want to hear some strange music made with the steelmaster</u></b> (and hear what is possible to do with the internal piezo), you can go have a listen to some new tracks I uploaded on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/leprincipedinconstance

<b>The tracks are:</b>
* "Can't you hear me calling you? ADDversion" which is in the trad myspace player
<u>In the flash player beneath the Bio section</u> (you'll have to stop the myspace player first and then click on a song title in the flash player)
* I never intended to do that
* The destruction of desire
* Saturation chronique d'une aventure affective (you can hear me sing in the piezo on this one.. :D )

Since I recorded these I bought an EHX Hog and it extends the piezo range of possibilities A LOT ! 8)

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Very interesting...I love it!
I really would love to try one
of his LP Jr clones!

k o y l

Post by k o y l » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Yeah I know what you feel: I'm not a Gibson guy but his Les Paul Jr/Special are so good looking... If I had extra money..

and check out his first sunburst guitar he just built. 8)