Another One Bites the Dust....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sooner
Orange Master

Another One Bites the Dust....

Post by Sooner » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Last edited by Sooner on Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:23 pm

makes me want to do CPR...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Hehe, I keep remembering what you said about CPR with Stayin' Alive and/or Another One Bites the Dust - in fact, that was the first thing that sprang into my mind when I saw this topic's title!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:43 pm

I've got the whole DVD of this 1981 concert in Montreal ("Queen Rock Montreal"). I'm a die-hard Queen fan (because of the music, not Freddie's fashion sense!). In fact, last year I got myself a Brian May "Red Special" guitar (http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars). Paired with a good treble booster, it sounds absolutely amazing through my Tiny Terror.
Lo

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

haha- how ridiculous. great band though.
Steve

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm

:)

I saw Queen at the Greensboro Coliseum, August 8, 1980. It was my first concert, and it was during "The Game" world tour. My father scored box seat tickets from a customer of his. I was 14 at the time.

I'll never forget it.

"This cat rocks!"

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>
<br />I've got the whole DVD of this 1981 concert in Montreal ("Queen Rock Montreal"). I'm a die-hard Queen fan (because of the music, not Freddie's fashion sense!). In fact, last year I got myself a Brian May "Red Special" guitar (http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars). Paired with a good treble booster, it sounds absolutely amazing through my Tiny Terror.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">+1 Loved the band especially Brian's playing. Man I wish I could get a Red Special....:D
Vince

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>
<br />I've got the whole DVD of this 1981 concert in Montreal ("Queen Rock Montreal"). I'm a die-hard Queen fan (because of the music, not Freddie's fashion sense!). In fact, last year I got myself a Brian May "Red Special" guitar (http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars). Paired with a good treble booster, it sounds absolutely amazing through my Tiny Terror.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">+1 Loved the band especially Brian's playing. Man I wish I could get a Red Special....:D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yup. I especially love that May's Red Special was made from a table and mantle piece with May's father when he was young. Very sentimental, and cool that he's using it still.

I'd love to get a Red Special, but there's a few versions and I'm never sure which one is worth the bucks. Burns pickups are pretty critical to the tone I take it...

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>

Yup. I especially love that May's Red Special was made from a table and mantle piece with May's father when he was young. Very sentimental, and cool that he's using it still.

I'd love to get a Red Special, but there's a few versions and I'm never sure which one is worth the bucks. Burns pickups are pretty critical to the tone I take it...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah I guess the original was made out of Cherry... Man that had to be a heavy guitar
Vince

Rimnorezn
Tiny Terror

Post by Rimnorezn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:46 pm

DAMN! Freddie's outfit is BEYOND RAD! I am going to try to get our singer to wear something like that during our show on Saturday.

I didn't hear the CPR thing about this song, only "Stayin' Alive". I think The Queen song would be cool too as long as you don't sing during the compressions.

Anyone read about how in Freddie's birthplace of Zanzibar, they tried to make his b-day an national holiday? The Muslims didn't like it though cause of his lifestyle.

I'm not a big fan or anything, but he obviously ROCKED!
Orange AD30TC
www.sonicdeathray.com

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
[quote]+1 Loved the band especially Brian's playing. Man I wish I could get a Red Special....:D<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
[quote]Neiloler
Yup. I especially love that May's Red Special was made from a table and mantle piece with May's father when he was young. Very sentimental, and cool that he's using it still.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ahem..so the myth goes..it was actually a victorian hardwood toilet seat cover from the mansion they lived at...;):mrgreen::)

Had a BM Red special for a few years,the millennium concert with Bryan May playing on top of Buck Palace, gave me enough gas to buy one, was a great axe, but needed special care, and a bit of tweaking,quite a bulky neck as I recall, I sold it on last year, and broke even on the sale...:D

PPS...BM had the original special refurbished a couple of years ago, it had done 30 years ?? plus on the road, by a luthier here in Suffolk,good recommendation for his resume'( who also has done up and customised a couple of my guitars..I'm not in the same league of course...):)
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah I guess the original was made out of Cherry... Man that had to be a heavy guitar
I don't think there is any cherry in the original Red Special. I know for sure that the body has an oak centre block, which the pickups are affixed to, with blockboard wings and mahogany veneer. The body has sound chambers to faciliate feedback, which obviously lightens the guitar. The neck is made of mahogany from a fireplace. The fretboard is also made of oak (painted).

The current production model (http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars) has a mahohany body (with sound chambers), a mahogany neck, and an ebony fretboard. The pickups are standard Burns Trisonics, which are almost identical to those found on the original. It also has the exact same shape as the original, albeit with a thinner neck (thank God!).
Lo

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>

I don't think there is any cherry in the original Red Special. I know for sure that the body has an oak centre block, which the pickups are affixed to, with blockboard wings and mahogany veneer. The body has sound chambers to faciliate feedback, which obviously lightens the guitar. The neck is made of mahogany from a fireplace. The fretboard is also made of oak (painted).

The current production model (http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars) has a mahohany body (with sound chambers), a mahogany neck, and an ebony fretboard. The pickups are standard Burns Trisonics, which are almost identical to those found on the original. It also has the exact same shape as the original, albeit with a thinner neck (thank God!).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">sweet thanks for the info....
Vince

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:09 pm

How does the current production guitar sound and play? Easy to upkeep? etc?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:16 pm

$700 for a Red Special in a variety of colors is pretty cool though!