another one of my tone rants/Rockerverb discussion

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

somedude
Orange Hero

Post by somedude » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by airforce_brian</i>
<br /><b>Joshlespaul1952</b>: If you don't personally like the clean channel that's fine, but the correct answer to hithere's question would have been "I don't personally like the clean channel, but most agree that it is very nice", or something along those lines. You are telling this dude that the clean channel sucks, when you know most people don't feel that way about it. Not cool.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't know why everyone is bashing on Joshlespaul... You don't have to qualify your opinion by stating that "I personally really like the clean channel, but some feel that it's not very good." Why should he have to do the reverse?

Or is this going to turn into one of <i>those forums</i> where anyone who gives an honest opinion instead of toeing the company line is going to become a pariah?

Les Paul -> Electric Amp 120w MV* -> Electric 4x12 + Orange 4x12

* or a 2-ch Dual Rectifier.. depending on how I feel.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:42 pm

To be fair, I didn't particularly like the Rockerverb clean channels when I tried the various RV incarnations... I think the point is that other people do. Boot is on the other foot though.

It's not to say it isn't useable, not at all, just that I preferred my AD30 clean sound. Wouldn't cry if I was forced to gig with a RV...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm

When I had my RV50, the cleans were pretty good. Not Fender clean, of course, but a darker clean.

Side note: Hey Joe! It's good to see you on here still. It's been forever since I have been on this forum.

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Not too impressed with the cleans. They start to sound really good at around 12:00, but that is extremely loud and not conducive to a reasonable stage volume.

"This cat rocks!"

enigma
Orange Hero

Post by enigma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm

hithere, when I say the clean on the RV100 is the weak point I mean that it's not as good as the cleans on my Mesa Lonestar Special, Suhr Badger 30, vox AC30 and even my Fender Blues Juniors Tweed. I like my cleans to be sparkling, almost 3D like in tone. I just couldnt' EQ the RV100 to be as bloomy as others; it's rather flat sounding to me.

But, overall it's one heck of an amp! Nothing really does dirty tone like Orange.
PRS McCarty Rosewood
ESP 400 Series Strat
ESP Custom Tele 1987
Egnater Renegade
Fender Blues Jr. Fuchs Mod
Orange-less for the moment!

jjjp

Post by jjjp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm

I recently purchased a used Rockerverb 50 head and matching closed back 2x12 cabinet. I wanted something versatile with a clean channel that had enough headroom so it wouldn't break up at gigging levels. I was basically looking for an amp that could come close to combining Marshall and Fender tones in one package. I've been extremely happy with this amp. It is the most versatile amp I've owned over 25 plus years of playing. The gain channel has tremendous range on it from mild breakup to over the top gain. With a closed back cabinet the amp has great low end. The clean channel stays clean until you push the volume towards ear damaging level. The range of tones available on both channels is superior- with a little tweaking you can get many different sounds. I haven't had any problems cutting through the mix. I can't speak for the efx loop as I haven't used it yet but this amp has given me the greatest range of sounds in one package of any amp I've tried. The material I gig on goes from Johnny Cash to Green Day.
Regarding a Fender sound I will say that having owned a few, including currently having a vintage 1965 Super Reverb, The only way to get a true Fender sound is play through a Fender! Unfortunately you sacrifice your heavy sound no matter what pedal you use. The RV50 head has gotten me closer than anything else, while still retaining it's own attractive personality and being more than heavy enough to compete with Marshall and Mesa rigs. If you can't manage with this amp you may want to consider a 2 amp setup. Hope some of this info helps.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:44 pm

1. I tried over 50 amps looking for "The One." When I heard the clean channel on the RV50 around 12 to 1 o'clock, I knew I had found it. Tried a Rivera-era 100W Twin Reverb recently. It sounded like a great Fender should, but playing I realized I don't like Fender clean - I like a warmer sound. I like clean on my friend's Lonestar. Nice and warm, but my preference is for the RV50.

2. My son has used the effects loop through a Lexicon digital effects box. It sounds good, no loss of tone, but we haven't tried it in a gigging situation.

3. Depends on what you mean by cutting through the mix. A Telecaster on the bridge pickup through the 100W Twin will cut through the mix and hurt people at the same time. Oranges cover a different part of the sound spectrum. Stop playing and it will be noticed, but not in the ice pick to the forehead frequencies. The clean channel is very punchy with the closed cabs. Above one o'clock it does not get that much louder but starts to show compression from the power tubes. The dirty channel is much more compressed.

4. If you can't dial off the dirt using the volume knob on your guitar through the RV50 you need better pots on your guitar.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somedude</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by airforce_brian</i>
<br /><b>Joshlespaul1952</b>: If you don't personally like the clean channel that's fine, but the correct answer to hithere's question would have been "I don't personally like the clean channel, but most agree that it is very nice", or something along those lines. You are telling this dude that the clean channel sucks, when you know most people don't feel that way about it. Not cool.

I don't know why everyone is bashing on Joshlespaul... You don't have to qualify your opinion by stating that "I personally really like the clean channel, but some feel that it's not very good." Why should he have to do the reverse?

Or is this going to turn into one of <i>those forums</i> where anyone who gives an honest opinion instead of toeing the company line is going to become a pariah?

word. one of the best things i learned about writing is, in the case of stating an opinion, the phrase 'in my opinion' is useless. you're stating it, obviously we know it's yr opinion. if you're using someone else's opinion, by all means, reference them so when everyone else says what an idiot they are you can agree and quit speaking to that person forever. could josh have phrased his opinion better? sure, probably. in the grand scheme of things does it matter? not at all. but yeah, if you're stating yr own opinion, you can (and should) state it as fact. it's something you hold to be true, so why the hell not?

better?
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Chinese..I think it would be nice of you if you removed that poster of the young man running the race of his life and being ridiculed for it.;)
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:12 pm

chinese fork tie your sig is obnoxious and shows no
heart or compassion for "special" people. I do a good
deal of volunteer work with "special" kids, your picture
would and is very hurtful to them...

Please remove it

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/c ... /argue.jpg

<h1>Thank you !</h1>

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chinese fork tie</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somedude</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by airforce_brian</i>

word. one of the best things i learned about writing is, in the case of stating an opinion, the phrase 'in my opinion' is useless. you're stating it, obviously we know it's yr opinion. if you're using someone else's opinion, by all means, reference them so when everyone else says what an idiot they are you can agree and quit speaking to that person forever. could josh have phrased his opinion better? sure, probably. in the grand scheme of things does it matter? not at all. but yeah, if you're stating yr own opinion, you can (and should) state it as fact. it's something you hold to be true, so why the hell not?

also...

Classic! It's like you didn't even get the meaning of the pic you posted in your own post! LOL!
Greg

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

This thread reminds me of a Bob Dylan video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuD8NwX_eY

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 pm

hmmm wow. I thank everyone for their honest opinions, even Josh's cause its his opinion and it's nice that he has one. But this is a generally nice forum with decent human beings, we shouldn't be fighting, or posting pictures of special needs children to be made fun of.

I didn't start this thread for hatred or arguments, just people's opinions, this is way too nice of an informative forum for it to fall these kind of actions.

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 pm

hahah yeah Josh have seen that video before.

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chinese fork tie</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somedude</i>

better?
Don't expect them to get over it any time soon...they get riled up, and then they're angry at you for weeks.