Just bought a Rockerverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 pm

I loath eq pedals. Some here like using the Micro-amp in the loop...it's a cheaper alternative to the RC Boost. I've never used the Micro...but I don't know what could be better than the RC Boost. It is the perfect pedal for getting a solo boost out of the gain channel IMHO.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Bump... anyone? Thoughts on MXR EQ pedals? Or perhaps a Micro-Amp?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have a Micro amp and it doesn't work in front of my RV combo....just adds gain but no volume. I haven't tried it in the loop but I will.....howvever it gives me a great volume boost in front of my Matamp.....different front ends on the amps that's all.

I don't think ANYTHING in front of an RV dirty channel will give you a volume lift....you'll just add even MORE compression!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br />

I don't think ANYTHING in front of an RV dirty channel will give you a volume lift....you'll just add even MORE compression!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

your are right, sir.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

ghisl4in

Post by ghisl4in » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />RV50 = best amp ever.

+1

so simple it is.

Welcome to da club.
Current Gear :
<b>08' Gibson VOS Les Paul Slash Sig</b>
07' LTD EC 1000 VHB
and : <font><b>Orange Rockerverb 50h</b>
+ Orange PPC212 OB</font>

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:52 am

Well I got to crank it at rehearsal tonight, and it blew me away! The dirty channel is just <i>awesome</i>...

I'm going to be putting some kind of boost in the loop I reckon - the lead sound is so sweet I don't want to change it with EQ or more gain, just a bit of a volume increase.

I can't wait to gig it now! :D
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kmlabs</i>
<br />Hey blackcloud, how do I go about joining the cartel and getting a logo?

Also, would that mean I have to leave the Tiny Terror club? :)

Joining the cartel is easy. Getting out, well........[:0]

Fuhgettaboutit!

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:35 am

I ran the MXR Micro Amp in the loop for a while and it worked good. Very transparent. Brian / Knuckle bones is right, they don't make a pedal that will boost volume on the RV50 from the front.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spyeman
Tiny Terror

Post by spyeman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 am

Question for you guys that use a boost pedal "in the loop" - I have an RC Booster but I put it between the amp and the guitar via a pedal board, if you put it "in the loop", how are you physically doing it, do you have the pedal on the floor with cables going back to the send/return of the loop, or short cables and just have the pedal in back of the amp and you switch it on by hand.......I know this seems stupid, but I've never put anything through the loop before, always out front, do you think it sounds better through the loop?

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:05 am

A separate in and out form the board:

Greg

spyeman
Tiny Terror

Post by spyeman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 am

Interesting, I just ran my pedalboard, which only has three pedals on it, through the effects loop versus being in front. It seems to work fine, too late at night to experiment with it, I can't tell if it sounds any different, better or worse, is there a general consensus, do effects (in this case a chorus a boost and an overdrive) sound better through the loop or between the guitar and amp??

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 am

Usually, as a general rule of thumb, only time based and modulation type effects would go in the loop. Although there are no hard and fast rules - do what sounds best to you.
Greg

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>

Joining the cartel is easy. Getting out, well........[:0]

I don't believe anyone has survived the ordeal of trying to get out.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

krizz

Post by krizz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kmlabs</i>
<br />Bump... anyone? Thoughts on MXR EQ pedals? Or perhaps a Micro-Amp?

I previously used a MicroAmp and/or a MXR 10-Band EQ in the loop and they both worked well as solo boosts. The MicroAmp just added volume and with the EQ I both added volume and sculptured the sound a bit, a nice feature on the MXR 10-band EQ is that you can add some gain as well as volume. Both pedals were usless infront of the amp in my opinon.
The reason I stoped using both pedals was that I found that they sucked a bit of tone so I tried a MI Audio Boost'N'Buff (that works as a buffer when switched off and a volume boost when on) and found that it worked out so much better.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 am

krizz, is the Micro-Amp not true bypass then?
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

krizz

Post by krizz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kmlabs</i>
<br />krizz, is the Micro-Amp not true bypass then?

As far as I remember it's not true bypass but the EQ is. The problem isn't if the pedals are true bypass or not it's just that the signal simply deteriorates really fast in the loop. That's why the Boost'N'Buff works so well with the RV.