Humbucker coil cut + treble bleed mod

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Phate
Rocker

Post by Phate » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey guys!

Maybe some of you remember that I've done a coil cut mod to my humbucker a while ago. The result was, shutting one half of the humbucker off, results in a thinner sound (a lot less mids). I've read that you can wire your hb coil cut to give you more highs, should result in a more strat like sound instead of just cutting mids.

Now there's my question, does anyone know how to do that?

Second questing is, when I roll of my vol, my guitar sound gets muddy an looses all of its highs. Anyway to change that?

I have that stemac golden age humbucker and wired them after their wiring diagram. One modification was to wire the hbs vol independently, like its shown in that diagram.

Any information and help would be highly appriciated :)
Ole

ImageImage

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:43 pm

I'd try the treble bleed mod, I think most people just dig a .002 cap for humbuckers. I'd say wire the volumes independently too. The nice thing about LP-style guitars is that you don't have to mess around with a pickguard to get at the controls, so you can leave it strung up to test the mods as you go.

Phate
Rocker

Post by Phate » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks Neil!

One question, does that treble bleed mod work with the coil cut function? I'd think, I had to decide which one I want to use with treble bleed. Either sc or hb.

Do you think it's the fault of the independently wired vol controls, that my sound turns into mud immediately when I turn down the vol?
Ole

ImageImage

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:52 pm

It might be the product of the volume potentiometer value.
Typically a HumB PU wants 500k and a SC wanst 250k. if your guitar only has a 250 or 300k pot, change that to the higher value and see if that helps. it might mean a little less gradual drop on the SC PU when you turn down but it will retain treble better.

HTH
Here we go; three, four...

Phate
Rocker

Post by Phate » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:51 pm

My push pull potis are 500k. The mud comes in when turning down it more than 8. Strange situation. Maybe I should really try a treble bleed mod.

Now back to the first idea. I've read a lot about a mod which gives an hb more treble but less output while put into coil cut. How to do that? I think that sounds cool, because all I have now is reduced mid output when I coil cut it and I'd like to have a sound with reduced mid and increased highs. :)
Ole

ImageImage