Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

redearth

Post by redearth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 am

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 am

Honestly man I can't say enough good things about my tiny terror with the ppc1X12 cab. It does everything I want it to do and more. I can play blues to heavy rock to classic rock with a small turn of the knob and working the volume pot on my guitars. I can't comment on the smaller ad series amps. Only used the 30 watt ad and it was also awesome, but alot heavier to lug around. With the TT you can put it in its case and throw it over your shoulder which is a nice option. Doesn't weigh a ton and man does it ever sound amazing. Best advice I can give you is to try and find a shop that has all three of them for you to try out. The you tube demos may help you but you are getting a recording of the sound that the amp makes and it is set to their liking not yours and you have no way of changing the sound, or playing around with it. I have heard good and bad things about the ad5 I believe there is a fairly recent thread comparing the TT to the AD5 so see if you can look it up. It might help you out a bit. But my vote goes undoubtedly for the TT.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 am

I've got a TT head and love it, but can't really answer your question.

I was just interested in the redearth nick, figured you'd be another Aussie.

Where are you from?
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redearth</i>
<br />Im looking to get a versatile quality small home amp.I have a mesa boogie Mk 4 but want a simpler quality made combo that would be Ok for small giggs too,and not weigh a ton. Now ive looked on internet at all the speel on AD5 /Tiny Terror combo, seen the utube stuff but I have also heard of the AD1512 combo which I believe is not made now.Would be intereseted to hear from users comparing these three amps.I prefer UK built hand wired amps but in these days of Korean made oranges I may be forced to settle for one of these.I like blues and Eric Clapton music style so it doesnt need to be a screamer with distortion features/peddles can do that.Just want top class tone.I use Fender custom shop strat and musicman Albert lee with single coils.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The AD5 will give you the better tones for what you're after. The TT is a good little amp, but not really classic blues. My AD30 will turn its hand to blues very nicely, so I assume the AD5 will also, only at lower volumes.

The problem you will have with it is that it only has volume and tone - no master volume: so if you need to adjust sound partway through a gig, you'd have to use pedals for extra dirt without turning up the volume. The TT combo does a little better having an MV dial, but IMO, the range of tones is less suited to what you want.

An AD15 (either 10" or 12" combo, if you can find one 2nd hand) would be ideal and is an excellent amp.

Are you considering any other amps, or just those two?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>

An AD15 (either 10" or 12" combo, if you can find one 2nd hand) would be ideal and is an excellent amp.

Are you considering any other amps, or just those two?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I agree with Joe.
I have both the TT and an AD15/12 and IMO the AD15 is a better amp for the sounds you have described and where it really excels is mid-gain. The TT's fantastic as an out and out rock amp but for mid gain the AD15 has the edge to my ears.

I warn you though that the AD15 is still a pretty loud amp. I struggle to get mine above 10 o'clock on the master at home and it really does sound better when it's opened up a bit volume wise. The TT's master volume is very good and I would say that the TT sounds better at very low volumes (master below 08.30) than the AD15.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:03 am

You're far to vague. It depends on the way the amp is going to be used. I've never personally played the TT, but I know it's a good amp for what it does.

The AD30TC is very versatile up until you hit extreme ice picky cleans, or extreme ball bursting metal gain... either of those two I don't need or care for, so the AD30 is perfect for me.

Anyways, like I said, the question is far too vague, and answers are subject to opinion.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:09 am

I used to own an AD15/12 and it was truly a blues MACHINE. The TT sounds phenominal but yeah its hard to get a loud clean out of it. Although apparently Death Cab is using them now.... On another note, a Blackheart Little Giant or Handsome Devil will give you seriously awsome tone and value. Check those out, they seem pretty popular with the Orange crowd.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 am

In no way do I mean this as a slight on TT users, but those who have not directly compared the two in everyday use are going to be a bit biased!

The TT has one great sound and bags of unmistakeably Orange tone, but the AD30 effectively covers all the territory of the TT and more. It has a smidgen less gain, but unless you're planning on running the amp full on and won't consider a pedal if you need that extra kick, the AD30 is much more versatile. For blues up to hard rock, the AD30's tone also outshines the TT. I speak as someone who has owned both simultaneously for months, and honestly the TT ended up never getting used. I sold it a couple of weeks back and have never once regretted that choice.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC