TT and Blackheart cab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

eurotrashed
Tiny Terror

Post by eurotrashed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I was going to order an Avatar cab but I can get a 1x12 Blackheart cab at a local store for $140. I played through it and I liked it a lot but I don't have too much to compare it to. A review online, one TT owner said they liked the Blackheart cab the best out of all the cabs he tried (Orange included). Anyone using a Blackheart cab? Opinions?

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Honestly, if you like it, what else matters? Not trying to be a smart alec, but that is all that matters.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />Honestly, if you like it, what else matters? Not trying to be a smart alec, but that is all that matters.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
True True... I think many of us give others opinions too much weight sometimes. I don't mean that good advice doesn't matter but if it sounds good to you Go For It.. Cheers:)
Vince

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eurotrashed</i>
<br />I was going to order an Avatar cab but I can get a 1x12 Blackheart cab at a local store for $140. I played through it and I liked it a lot but I don't have too much to compare it to. A review online, one TT owner said they liked the Blackheart cab the best out of all the cabs he tried (Orange included). Anyone using a Blackheart cab? Opinions?

Does your local store have any other 1x12s you can try to compare it to? Personally I don't think the opinion of one guy on the internet is worth paying much attention to, as cab choice (as with most musical gear choice) is all down to personal preference - i.e. what sound YOU want, not whatever sound that guy wanted. Just my tuppence.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

eurotrashed
Tiny Terror

Post by eurotrashed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:05 pm

The only 1x12 cabs I can really try at a store are the Blackheart, Valve Jr and maybe an Egnater cab.

I don't have much to base my opinion on, with me not trying out lots of cabs, I would probably be happy with a no name speaker in an MDF box, as I don't know what to listen for. But if someone has tried a blackheart cab and an avatar cab, they would hopefully be able to explain the differences in sound and if the Blackheart lives up to a V30 equipped cab

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:43 pm

I would have to agree with Teddy (Le Chat Noir). Do yourself a favour and try as many cabs as you can. Just because someone else raves about the tone they get doesn't mean you are going to like it. It comes down to what you hear with your own ears. You will notice a huge difference between cabs and speaker combinations when playing through them at your settings. Just going from a v30 to a H30 is a huge difference in sound let alone putting it inside of a differnt diameter enclosure and different guitars also make a huge tonal variety for you. If you have friends with speaker cabs, try them out, and go to different stores to see what they have in stock that you can try. Also keep in mind just because your favorite artist uses brand A with this guitar doesn't mean you are going to sound like him, as you never know what pickups he has installed, if he has changed the speakers in the cab, and ultimately true tone is in your fingers and playing style. So do yourself a favour and try as many as you can before you buy as it seems that you don't have much of a selection as would be optimal, try the alternative routes with your friends and fellow musicians if they will let you use their equipment for a demo while they watch.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

eurotrashed
Tiny Terror

Post by eurotrashed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:03 pm

Any of my friends have cabs just have Marshall MG cabs and other low end cabs.

I want a more modern sound and retain the british sound. I want a nice lowend, and I am just lost looking for a cab

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:56 pm

ummm. i played my tt through a blackheart cab in the shop before i bought it and i liked it.but i got an avatar instead. so if you like it man, go for it. nothings permanent. if you have extra cash later just buy another cab.
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Do avatar have a returns policy?

Are there any stores anywhere within sensible travelling distance where you might be able to try stuff out?

Where do you live in the world? If you ask nicely you might even find a forumite who is local to you who would be willing to let you try some stuff!

Buying low and reselling on Ebay is another option, living out in the countryside and being a lefty I've bought a lot of gear that way and almost always broke even or made a profit if it didn't work out.

Just a few suggestions - there are always ways of trying gear out.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:47 pm

What's the speaker in the Blackheart?

The consensus opinion on the web is that the TT sounds best with a Celestion G12H30, followed closely by the Celestion Vintage 30. I think you should make your choice based on the speaker itself, not the cab.

If you go with Avatar, get one the Hellatone speakers. These are just broken-in versions of the G12H30 (the Hellatone 30) or the Vintage 30 (the Hellatone 60, since the V30 is a 60 watt speaker).

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm

when I had it, I tried my TT through an open back Matamp 2x12 with G12M Heritage speakers and it sounded fantastic, a lot better than the V30s IMHO. That's what I'd go with if I were a TT owner again.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

eurotrashed
Tiny Terror

Post by eurotrashed » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Armchair Bronco</i>
<br />What's the speaker in the Blackheart?

The consensus opinion on the web is that the TT sounds best with a Celestion G12H30, followed closely by the Celestion Vintage 30. I think you should make your choice based on the speaker itself, not the cab.

If you go with Avatar, get one the Hellatone speakers. These are just broken-in versions of the G12H30 (the Hellatone 30) or the Vintage 30 (the Hellatone 60, since the V30 is a 60 watt speaker).

Yeah, its mainly a speaker issue, the Blackheart has a 75watt Eminence, I forget what model it is rumored to be but its a discontinued model.

I played through a valve jr cab and I didn't like it, I need a closed back. However I tried out an MXR 10 band with it and I was able to get almost any tone I want, so I think I might be ok with a blackheart and then put the savings toward an EQ. The store was all out of the Egnater cab. :(

I just rigged my Fender Rumble 60 to have an input to run the Tiny Terror for the time being. Sounds good even with the no name cheapie 8 ohm bass speaker

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 am

Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in the ring here. My friend just recently picked up a Blackheart Little Giant Combo (same speaker/constuction as the 1x12) and I was blown away at the quality and tone you get for the money. I honestly felt that the Blackheart was better cosmetically and contructionally than my old AD-15

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 am

If it sounds good, go for it.
Whatever sounds good to you, simply put, IS good.
Lots of guys around here use other than Orange cabs and are totally satisfied.
Must say thre's a number of people using Avatar, though....
Must be something to them... ;)

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

eurotrashed
Tiny Terror

Post by eurotrashed » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:00 am

I think a local shop has a Marshall 4x10 for cheap, I'm gonna check if they still have it. But anything is better than my current ghetto rig: