replace speaker cable in speaker cabinet

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

perbra

Post by perbra » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi, I replaced the speaker cable between Tiny Terror and the PPC112 cabinet with a Evidence Audio Siren II cable. It was surprised by the difference in sound quality. I also use guitar cables from Evidence audio. Anyone changed the speaker cables inside the PPC112. Is it easy to replace it?

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:38 pm

hehehehehehe i use dual core elctrical flex. I harvested a good many metres when my mum threw out her old hoover. Thats does me fine ;)

Kink Tet
Tiny Terror

Post by Kink Tet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:29 pm

There are cats out there that are the of the school that think spending a lot of money on high dollar accessories are going to make them sound better. The cables and strings thing is the one that really gets me. These are the same guys that seem to know a lot about their amps and upgrade everything they possibly can and when they post some of their mp3's you think. Wow, if they put as much time into playing as much as they put into upgrading their gear and yacking about it on forums they might actually be able to freakin play. But I digress.

Changing out the speaker wiring on a 1x12 cab should be extremely easy. If in fact it really needs to be done.
Feed the Christians to the lions~Caesar

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 am

Perbra,

I use Siren II from head to cab, I changed a while back. I too was amazed at the upgrade in tone qualities. I bought an internal wiring harness for my 2x12 cab (StoneAge 2x12C) but have not gotten around to installing it yet. I'm still using the stock small guage speaker wire with aligator clips on the speaker terminals (due to all the speaker changing I've done this year). But it still sounds soooo good. I can't imagine what it's gonna sound like when I get my whole signal path from head to speakers routed with the Sirn II cable, and soldered to the terminals at that.

I bought from LavaCable. I spent probably $100 +/-, not cheap, but it's a ont-time investment and WELL worth the cost in tonal improvements. Bigger, tighter bass, stronger louder signal, clarity, sweet high end.

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am

I'm curious as to why such an expensive cable gives a better tone? Wire is wire pretty much.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br />I'm curious as to why such an expensive cable gives a better tone? Wire is wire pretty much.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Does size matter?

I'm sure there are technical reasons far beyond what I need to know. All I know is it sounded much better than the cable I was using. My Siren II from head to cab is only 1' long though.

Their Lyric HG guitar cable is pretty darn good too, many pros use it.

Dr Dildo
Tiny Terror

Post by Dr Dildo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br />
Does size matter?

I've heard it does... :mrgreen:
Slick Willy

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr Dildo</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br />
Does size matter?

I've heard it does... :mrgreen:

You should know Dr.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br />I'm curious as to why such an expensive cable gives a better tone? Wire is wire pretty much.

Magic ears, Simon, magic ears - Ken Fischer style. Everyone knows guitar amps are RF amps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>

Magic ears, Simon, magic ears - Ken Fischer style. Everyone knows guitar amps are RF amps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And Eric Johnson.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Way to quote yourself Chris!

Nah, but seriously, magic ears maybe not, but golden ears I can believe. Hey, not everybody is born with them. Just like not everybody has 20/20 vision.

Here's a resource for ya: (Heheheheheheheh!)
http://www.hearingaidscentral.com/index ... sgodBWgGzQ

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br />Way to quote yourself Chris!

Nah, but seriously, magic ears maybe not, but golden ears I can believe. Hey, not everybody is born with them. Just like not everybody has 20/20 vision.

Hey, I'm well versed with hearing - my girlfriend is a hearing science major! :D

This subject always makes me laugh. A length of string soaked in brine is a perfectly acceptable conductor below 30kHz. British Telecom have been using that for their phone lines for years, anyway. :)

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>

Hey, I'm well versed with hearing - my girlfriend is a hearing science major! :D

This subject always makes me laugh. A length of string soaked in brine is a perfectly acceptable conductor below 30kHz. British Telecom have been using that for their phone lines for years, anyway. :)

Whatever you say man. Come over to my rehearsal studio sometime and and let me demo some things for ya. I was using a Canare 4S8 speaker cable previously, then I bought a Mulder Audio and a EA Siren II speaker cable. I can't explain how much better these two high-end cables sounded over the Canare. The Canare was just harsh and weak sounding. You'de have to hear it for yourself.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 pm

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>

Whatever you say man. Come over to my rehearsal studio sometime and and let me demo some things for ya. I was using a Canare 4S8 speaker cable previously, then I bought a Mulder Audio and a EA Siren II speaker cable. I can't explain how much better these two high-end cables sounded over the Canare. The Canare was just harsh and weak sounding. You'de have to hear it for yourself.

Come over to my rehearsal studio and I'll give you a blind test on an identical rig. One cable we'll use your Siren II. The other cable, I'll use a steel wire coat hanger.

In audio, below 30khz, a conductor is a conductor.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 pm

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>

Come over to my rehearsal studio and I'll give you a blind test on an identical rig. One cable we'll use your Siren II. The other cable, I'll use a steel wire coat hanger.

In audio, below 30khz, a conductor is a conductor.

Hehehe. We did blind tests and every time the Mulder and Siren II was picked as sounding better. There was 4 cables, Canare, Horizen, Siren II, and Mulder Audio. Canare was picked as the worst sounding cable by everyone. It was very interesting to say the least.

Same goes with guitar cables, George L cables sounds like crap to me, very bright and harsh. I love these Fulltone Golds.

I'm sorry you can't hear the difference, count yourself blessed.