Help choosing the right Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ghisl4in

Post by ghisl4in » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Stratoblaster,

i was into the same problematic 2 weeks ago. I must say I play kind of the same s--- you do. I didn't have the opportunity to check for the AD30htc, so i had to make my choice between the RV 50, that I tested (head and combo), and the infos I had read on this forum (and some french guitar forums).

I went for the <b>RV50 combo</b> (would have taken the stack if i had more coins :oops:), because I was kind of scared not to reach the "gain level" with the ad30 that I had reached with the RV (though i don't push it to the max). And also, I was VERY impressed by the cleans during the test. Clean tones are are very important to me.

I must say, after two weeks of use (first gig with it tomorrow ;)) that I am fully satisfied with my choice.

I hope this helped, and good luck in your choice :)

Ghislain
Current Gear :
<b>08' Gibson VOS Les Paul Slash Sig</b>
07' LTD EC 1000 VHB
and : <font><b>Orange Rockerverb 50h</b>
+ Orange PPC212 OB</font>

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:45 pm

I think of my AD30 as nailing a Who-esque crunch/gain... so certainly cleaner than what some of those bands you mentioned play. The AD30 is CAPABLE of having much higher gain than that, but it is not at its best, IMO.

While it sounds odd because we're talking about 20 years ago, I consider that second group of bands you mentioned more "modern" in the type of gain and tightness their playing demands. For that, you definitely do not want an AD30, it is more organic and sloppy, especially on the low ends.
- Nathan

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevo2112</i>
<br />did you get a chance to try the thunderverb?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Unfortunately no, which I was looking forward to testing out, but my local shops don't have any, and I could only get one to try by putting a down payment, which isn't really an option :(

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghisl4in</i>
<br />Hi Stratoblaster,

i was into the same problematic 2 weeks ago. I must say I play kind of the same s--- you do. I didn't have the opportunity to check for the AD30htc, so i had to make my choice between the RV 50, that I tested (head and combo), and the infos I had read on this forum (and some french guitar forums).

I went for the <b>RV50 combo</b> (would have taken the stack if i had more coins :oops:), because I was kind of scared not to reach the "gain level" with the ad30 that I had reached with the RV (though i don't push it to the max). And also, I was VERY impressed by the cleans during the test. Clean tones are are very important to me.

I must say, after two weeks of use (first gig with it tomorrow ;)) that I am fully satisfied with my choice.

I hope this helped, and good luck in your choice :)

Ghislain
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nguideau</i>
<br />I think of my AD30 as nailing a Who-esque crunch/gain... so certainly cleaner than what some of those bands you mentioned play. The AD30 is CAPABLE of having much higher gain than that, but it is not at its best, IMO.

While it sounds odd because we're talking about 20 years ago, I consider that second group of bands you mentioned more "modern" in the type of gain and tightness their playing demands. For that, you definitely do not want an AD30, it is more organic and sloppy, especially on the low ends.

Thanks a lot! I've nearly revised my decision on the AD now as well, from the above post. I'm nearly pulling my hair out trying to think what's best.
My main focus is older stuff, I guess the best exmaples would be the Zeppelin/Who (British roar), next would be a little more harder style stuff like AC/DC, then finally, the American Foo Fighters stuff. The drive is a bit more important than the cleans, but I do like a balance.

I'm still torn between a RV50 + a BYOC triboost for solos
or an AD30 with a decent distortion.

I've asked Orange, and Rob Chappers.
Orange said the AD with pedals
Chappers said def. the Rockerverb... wow..

Anything else anybody wants to throw out there?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZ7SS_O ... re=related
That's the kinda tone I really fell in love with, if I could just get it a bit heavier.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Deacon Blues</i>
<br />the tone of the AD is much different than the rockerverb. don't think that the difference between the oranges is just degree of gain on tap. i think most will agree that <i><b>the rockerverbs sound a little more transistorish than the ADs </b></i>which are very vintage flavored and thus more gritty. the rockerverbs sound good though - don't get me wrong

Step away from the crack pipe sir!

I don't find <i>anything</i> "transistorish" (sic) about the RV50. It is just as "organic" to my ear as the ADs. It may be a bit more <b>compressed</b> (due to having more gain stages) but it in no way resembles a solid state amp. Them's fightin' words! :twisted:

I think in this case - if you don't need really really clean cleans, I'd go with a TV50.
Greg

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 pm

Depending on what part of canada you're from, but I know the L&M in Vancouver and in Langley both have Oranges in stock right now.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Remember Rob has an RV50 and a TT and likes to use both at the same time. Rob also seems to have too much fun trying to see how many different sounds he can get out of the RV50 without using any pedals.

I like the RV50 for the same reason. It is an organic sound. The dirty channel does have a moderate amount of tube compression, which you cannot put into a pedal.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tugartheman</i>
<br />Depending on what part of canada you're from, but I know the L&M in Vancouver and in Langley both have Oranges in stock right now.

I'm from Brampton (smaller town outside T.O.), they only have a tiny terror and a PPC412 :(

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm from Brampton (smaller town outside T.O.), they only have a tiny terror and a PPC412 :(<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That is truly lame. My two cents...I love my AD30. Its a bit cheaper than the RV50, I can get pretty much any tone out of it (country, blues, rock, doom, certain metal) and I haven't had any problems.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 pm

If you are looking more at that classic crunch sound as a building block for an amp, then definitely consider the AD30. The amp does take pedals amazingly well, so it is a good building block to run a pedal into.

The only caution I give on the AD30 is that with the tube rectifier it is loose. A lot of people looking for modern sounds consider words like "loose" or "sloppy" to be four-lettered... I do not, but that's not to say I'm right and they are wrong, we are all just on a different tone quest.

If your top priority is Who/Zeppelin style crunch, I highly recommend it. With a nice overdrive, or maybe even compressor (?... I haven't tried this) you might get a modern Foo Fighters-ish rock sound out of it.

I have my doubts about the '80's high gain though. If you play that for fun, and don't play this style out to an audience, then I wouldn't worry... I have a friend that plays all high-gain metal, he plugged in his cheesy Krank pedal to my AD30 and while it fed back like a MF'er, it tightened up the low end and was plenty good for playing metal for fun at home or practice. If you will be playing high-gain modern sounds out though, RV50 for sure.

Just remember to play both of them with your guitar, back to back so you can really compare.

In short...
- AD30 nails classic crunch
- RV50 nails modern rock gain
- I feel that through the use of pedals it is easier to build in the AD30 as a foundation, keeping in mind that the tube rectifier is going to keep things a little loose no matter what
- But out of the box the RV50 is more diverse, no doubt about it
- Nathan

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 pm

there is nothing like an AD30 - find the single channel model if you can

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nguideau</i>
<br />If you are looking more at that classic crunch sound as a building block for an amp, then definitely consider the AD30. The amp does take pedals amazingly well, so it is a good building block to run a pedal into.

The only caution I give on the AD30 is that with the tube rectifier it is loose. A lot of people looking for modern sounds consider words like "loose" or "sloppy" to be four-lettered... I do not, but that's not to say I'm right and they are wrong, we are all just on a different tone quest.

If your top priority is Who/Zeppelin style crunch, I highly recommend it. With a nice overdrive, or maybe even compressor (?... I haven't tried this) you might get a modern Foo Fighters-ish rock sound out of it.

I have my doubts about the '80's high gain though. If you play that for fun, and don't play this style out to an audience, then I wouldn't worry... I have a friend that plays all high-gain metal, he plugged in his cheesy Krank pedal to my AD30 and while it fed back like a MF'er, it tightened up the low end and was plenty good for playing metal for fun at home or practice. If you will be playing high-gain modern sounds out though, RV50 for sure.

Just remember to play both of them with your guitar, back to back so you can really compare.

In short...
- AD30 nails classic crunch
- RV50 nails modern rock gain
- I feel that through the use of pedals it is easier to build in the AD30 as a foundation, keeping in mind that the tube rectifier is going to keep things a little loose no matter what
- But out of the box the RV50 is more diverse, no doubt about it

Yeah, I only play the 80's metalish stuff for fun, I don't actually preform that. So not counting that, the british crunch is top priority, which lead me to the AD30. I'm currently looking at compressors and boost/OD/distortions now, just to give me that boost when I need it.

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 pm

while I use a treble booster and a wah (for tonal variations, mostly), I pretty much play my rhythms on "6" and go to "10" (guitars volume) for a boost for solo work