Help choosing the right Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:47 am

Hey Orange Community!
I've been looking into getting an Orange for a long time, and now, I'm finally able to get one.
But, I have a problem- I'm torn between the Rockerverb 50, and the AD30HTC. I live in Canada, so I have almost no chance of finding both amps to fully try out to see which is right for me.
I play mostly classic/hard rock- Zeppelin, AC/DC, Airbourne, Van Halen, and sometimes go into 80's metalish stuff, Judas Priest,Sabbath,Iron Maiden, etc.. I also love the Foo Fighters.
I've asked several sources, including Orange directly, and Rob Chapman, and they all tell me the same thing. "Well, you see, it's a toss up between the AD30HTC with a good boost/overdrive, and the RV50". Great people, yet, in my case, useless advice.
So, all you fine and knowledgeable people-

Which amp do you think is best for me? (It will be ran through either a 212 Orange or Avatar cab)

breakfast
Orange Hero

Post by breakfast » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:50 am

Head over to Long and Mcquade and try some out. From your musical interests it sounds like the RV50 will suit you better, the AD30 won't get into the 80s metal without a pedal over and above itself.

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:57 am

Where are you located? Seriously, don't buy your amp new. Unfortunately, all us Canadians get totally ripped off by Orange if you've noticed the list prices from shops here. Try some amps out at L&M, but try to order from ebay or find one used within a couple of hours away (craigslist, kijiji etc). I saved about a grand on my amp.
ImageImage

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sesroh</i>
<br />Where are you located? Seriously, don't buy your amp new. Unfortunately, all us Canadians get totally ripped off by Orange if you've noticed the list prices from shops here. Try some amps out at L&M, but try to order from ebay or find one used within a couple of hours away (craigslist, kijiji etc). I saved about a grand on my amp.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm about half an hour from Toronto. Right now, I've been basing my prices off of Humbuckermusic's website. It's one of the only dealers I found that ships to Canada with *decent* prices.
AD30HTC goes for about 1500
RV50 goes for about 2000

Would I be getting ripped off?

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:03 am

You will get screwed with customs fees. I"m near Toronto too and know someone selling a stack. I'll PM you some details.
ImageImage

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:25 am

Ahh, that makes sense.
bastards.

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:27 am

(I think the craigslist link I sent you is a great deal if you don't need a cab)
ImageImage

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:36 am

yeah thanks, I'll def. consider it.
It's just, I'm young, and that kinda money, I wanna spend it right.
The Rockerverb seems like so much more (Tube FX loop, reverb, loads of gain), but I'm just not sure.

I guess I'll have to hunt them both down and try, before I can scour Craigslist.
Thanks for the help dude!

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 am

if it's gain that you want then you'd be better off with a RV50. The AD30 does have a bunch of gain and takes pedals pretty well though (if you prefer to use something like a tubecreamer/OD or distortion pedal). Don't worry if it's wattage you're concerned about. The AD30 is very loud for 30 watts. It's just as loud as a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 I had, for example.
ImageImage

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 am

Oh yeah, I've never underestimated the power of "low" tube wattages. That's why I'm so torn. I like to experiment with things like delay, chorus, wahwah, and even sometimes phasers.
the AD: Cheaper, a little more vintage, good balance of cleans and drive
the RK: Bit pricer, but the added reverb, the effects loop for my more "experimental" tones, enough gain to get me wherever I wanna go

Right now, it looks like the Rockerverb, but, I'll have to see.

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:12 am

I would go for RV50.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:01 am

the tone of the AD is much different than the rockerverb. don't think that the difference between the oranges is just degree of gain on tap. i think most will agree that the rockerverbs sound a little more transistorish than the ADs which are very vintage flavored and thus more gritty. the rockerverbs sound good though - don't get me wrong
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:09 am

um...how about a Thunderverb, gain at 3 volume at 10 and attenuate!
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied, but it looks like I'm going with the AD30.
I had the chance to compare both now, and I dunno, it just appealed to me a lot more than the 'verb did.

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:27 am

did you get a chance to try the thunderverb?
Steve