Wierd Noise coming from the jack on the AD30TC

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu May 02, 2002 10:18 pm

Hey all,
I just got an orange, and it sounds great, but after a few days, it started to make this noise that almost sounded like feedback...it was a high pitch ring that just continued, even when I would start playing. When you tap the end of the chord that's in the main input jack, you can hear it...You can also hear it when you tap any part of the control panel. I know that it's not the chord, cause I've tried lots of chords...anyone know what this might be? Could it be the tubes?

thanks,
Rob

BTW...does anyone know if orange makes any covers for their amps?

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Fri May 03, 2002 3:12 am

Well Rob I have the AD30HTC and do not have that problem. I even went and cranked it up and tried tapping the cord in the input jack of the amp and the faceplate and nothing. I can get a high pitched noise if i crank the gain and get feedback off my bottom strings of the guitar. Of course thats not what your talking about but thats the only way i could get that high pitch ring. So i'd say its the tubes. What brand are in there now? I know i changed the tubes when i got mine. The ones in there pretty much sucked. Now it's wonderful. Seems like there are different ones in each amp. I could be wrong. Gearnut just got one and it has Ruby Tubes. How about you? I use Sovtek EL-84W's and 12AX7LPS in mine right now.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Fri May 03, 2002 2:06 pm

Yeah, I'd check the tubes. First make sure they're all seated correctly (they probably are). Try this: turn the master volume up, but the gain knobs down. If you still hear the noise, I'd think it could be the output tubes. If it goes away, then maybe the preamp tubes. Of course, there could be something else wrong with it. But at least you could start there. Replacing tubes is super easy and fairly cheap.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri May 03, 2002 3:09 pm

Thanks for the advise...I have no idea where to start when it comes to tubes....what is the standard tube that orange uses? (Brand, model, ect.) And doesn't the amp have to be re-biased when you change the tubes? What is the best way to do this?

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Fri May 03, 2002 7:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Thanks for the advise...I have no idea where to start when it comes to tubes....what is the standard tube that orange uses? (Brand, model, ect.) And doesn't the amp have to be re-biased when you change the tubes? What is the best way to do this?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

You probably won't need to rebias, but I'm not sure. You never need to rebias for preamp tubes.

What model orange is it?

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat May 04, 2002 12:50 am

The amp is an AD30TC....I do think that the warranty covers the tubes for 30 days...so I still have time, but I want to get another set of tubes anyway just to have. So I need to know exactly what kind to get!

Thanks,
Rob

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Sat May 04, 2002 12:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
The amp is an AD30TC....I do think that the warranty covers the tubes for 30 days...so I still have time, but I want to get another set of tubes anyway just to have. So I need to know exactly what kind to get!

Thanks,
Rob

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Tubes are broken out by type. The ad30tc has 4 EL84 output tubes. Mine came stock with Ruby tubes, but you can get any brand you like. However, if you liked the sound the way it is, get Ruby again. Different brands of tubes can completely change the sound of your amp. This is a good thing. The ad30tc also has 4 preamp tubes. I don't know what brand or even type they are (other than the broad category of Ecc83/12ax7), mine are unlabled. The most common preamp type is the ECC83/12ax7. There are a bunch of variants that sound different, provide different gain, etc...What I would do is visit some of the following sites to read about the the different brands and the tonal differences and then make your decision.
http://www.eurotubes.com
http://www.thetubestore.com

Also, you can head over to the boards at www.harmony-central.com, those guys know everything.