Back on the lookout

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 am

hey, guys, been a while. so i've had some time now to get used to my 2003 AD15/12, and after playing live and in a variaty of rooms with a variaty of guitars, i have some qualms with the tone. Its just so friggin BRIGHT! Like, not good bright. Through either my Strat or Tele i have to turn the treble control OFF or it's too sharp for my tastes. Not to mention i woul'dt mind a more rock-oriented gain structure/sound.
So my point is i'm considering looking around for a rocker 30 or possibly TT/PPC212 setup to possibly replace it with. Any suggestions? I belive i can get around 800 or possibly more for the amp IF i decide to sell....

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 am

well the TT will DEFINATELY a more rock oriented sound. the overdrive on the tt is to die for but thats the only thing on the TT to die for. so if you want a clean too or 2 channels or more wattage then the rocker might be better for you but dont take my word for it...someone more exprienced will probly post on this
-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 am

I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that an Orange is too bright for them! [:0]Yeah,try to sell or work a trade towards a Rocker 30...still a surprisingly underrated amp imo.
Hugh

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 am

If you need clean, get the Rocker 30. If dirty is your thing, I'd go with either or depending on how much wattage you think you need. AD15s are tasty, have you replaced the tubes? Because EHX are pretty bright from what I hear.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 am

yeah, i always thought oranges were supposed to be dark-ish, but this thing is a friggin ICE PICK if i have the treble on above....off :x
Yeah, the tiny terror is cool, but i just don't like the "made in korea" factor. and i DEFINATLY need clean. Not complex clean, but good sounding clean. I'm shooting for a sound in the "indie rock" sort of range, a la Jimmy eat world/Switchfoot with alot of alternative
And the tubes are JJ's

thetrans5
Rocker

Post by thetrans5 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 am

i find nothing bright about Oranges, at all. try some humbuckers, for god's sake! 8)

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Definitely, try some humbuckers, my AD30 nails most indie tones. Certainly if you want something in the vein of the higher gain Jimmy Eat World, or something really high gain (at least for indie) like a number of Dinosaur Jr. tracks, you'll need a boost from some sort of distortion or fuzz pedal.

With my SG, I get my AD30's treble to around noon or 1-o-clock. If I play on the bridge pickup with the tone knob dropped to around 6 I get a pretty good balance.
- Nathan

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:44 pm

I'd say what you're experiencing is the 'directional effect' of Orange cabinets. Actually put your head directly in line with the speaker - it sounds completely different. I find my AD30TC to sound a bit brittle and lacking in bottom end, until I put my head in front if it, when it suddenly sounds much fuller. Try it! remember that if you're micing it up for gigging, then fortunately the audience is gonig to hear the 'head-in-front-of-speaker' tone.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:56 pm

Get the Rocker man. I've been lent one by a friend and i haven't stopped playing it since last week! The clean tone is amazing, especially when you get the volume just past 12 o'clock, and the dirty channel is ROARsome! :D
Josh

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:05 pm

With buckers I'm normally riding the treble anywhere between 1 and 3 o clock on my AD15 - even on the bridge pup.

I did find with my old strat that the bridge pup could get a bit harsh when I wound up the gain on the AD15. I put this mainly down to the pickup though as I always tended to find it on that particular strat with other amps too.

How are you running the AD15? It doesn't sound as good as the TT for example if you run the gain high and the volume low, the AD15 really benefits as you start to wind the master up. There's also quite a strange interplay between the TMB controls - I tend to keep the mids around 12 - 1 o clock, with bass about the same.

IMO the AD15 is great up to classic rock but for anything more than that I use my TT (or pedals). I wouldn't let the 'Made in Korea' factor put you off the TT, it's a great amp, especially so for the price.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image