Orange Matamp series 2000 mystery - updated info

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:01 am

Dave

Can you provide some more info please.

Ace P Distra

chris comber

Post by chris comber » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:09 am

Hi Guys

I just wanted to say Ive spoken to Jeff at Matamp a few times and he's sound in what he says! If he has an opinion, then id say its as good as concrete.

And anyway, isnt it worth getting the amp checked at matamp and then Jeff can se who bought it orininally and what its spec was when it left the warehouse?!

I believe that you have a great amp and you enjoy playing your guitar etc, play the amp and forget what its worth to jo bloggs banker who wants to put instruments in his volt.

Jeff confirmed that my orange matamp was originally bought by Alan Price, but id never sell it. I rescued mine from a studio loading bay in Bethnal Green london before it was thrown in the bin. Noone knew what it was strangly enough, the chasy was in one corner of the loading bay and the wooden sleeve was in the other. I sent it to Jeff to be re sleeved and have a new face plate, and now it looks gorgeous.

Ps matamp always send bk any parts taken off and replaced on your amp!

Thanks for all your work Jeff etc at Matamp

chris comber

Post by chris comber » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:12 am

Hi Guys

I just wanted to say Ive spoken to Jeff at Matamp a few times and he's sound in what he says! If he has an opinion, then id say its as good as concrete.

And anyway, isnt it worth getting the amp checked at matamp and then Jeff can se who bought it orininally and what its spec was when it left the warehouse?!

I believe that you have a great amp and you enjoy playing your guitar etc, play the amp and forget what its worth to jo bloggs banker who wants to put instruments in his volt.

Jeff confirmed that my orange matamp was originally bought by Alan Price, but id never sell it. I rescued mine from a studio loading bay in Bethnal Green london before it was thrown in the bin. Noone knew what it was strangly enough, the chasy was in one corner of the loading bay and the wooden sleeve was in the other. I sent it to Jeff to be re sleeved and have a new face plate, and now it looks gorgeous.

Ps matamp always send bk any parts taken off and replaced on your amp!

Thanks for all your work Jeff etc at Matamp

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:09 pm

Just thought I would update this thread.

First - in reply to the previous post - At NO time would I suggest Jeff at Matamp was anything other than the most qualified person that I have been in contact with concerning discovering the identity of my amp - the man spent 45 mins on a Sunday afternoon talking to me - he had been in the middle of putting his jacket on to go out - but still took the time to tell me loads of stuff.

To clarify another point in the same post - from the start I have tried to make it clear that I do not use the amp, I have used it in the past, but not for a very long time.

My reason for finding out about my amp is curiosity.

And yes any information I discover may be used if I decide to sell it.

I think I need a contact at Orange.

By the way - I have turned my Brother in Law into an "amp spotter" , he phones to tell me when he sees an Orange in the backstage set of any band he sees on the telly.

Still looking for help - Andy

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 pm

Here is a bit more info on series 2000 Matamps.

http://www.planetoftheamps.com/matamp-s2000review.html

Still does not help much - does support Jeffs theory about the case being wrong - but makes me more determined not to change a thing untill I find out more.

I WILL find out about this amp !

Andy

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Here is a bit more info on series 2000 Matamps.

http://www.planetoftheamps.com/matamp-s2000review.html

Still does not help much - does support Jeffs theory about the case being wrong - but makes me more determined not to change a thing untill I find out more.

I WILL find out about this amp !

Andy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Andy,

If it were mine...i'd get the amp up and running fully before I made any decisions about messing with the cosmetics. There's not really a need to it you're going to play the amp.

Also...FWIW, 383V seems a bit low...unless you're talking about the voltage before the rectifier (which would give you a little shy of 500V on the plates).

And...the earlier Oranges had the tone controls wired in different places (electrically speaking) than the later ones. I have a '71 GRO100 head that was wired completely different from my OR-120. You may benifit from the GRO100 schematics on Geert Jacobs' Orange amp field guide site, as i'd bet there are a lot more differences than the later model Oranges.

Hope that helps...good luck with the amp.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:31 am

Watch this space - I am close to an answer.

Andy

hellhazard
Orange Expert

Post by hellhazard » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:07 pm

*bump*

any info since March 2005 about this S2000 ?
-Vito

140watt Matamp GTv TwinChannel
ImageImageImage

hellhazard
Orange Expert

Post by hellhazard » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 pm

still nothing eh. THat has to be one of the oldest Matamps still alive
-Vito

140watt Matamp GTv TwinChannel
ImageImageImage

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 pm

No news yet

I have to take it to the Matamp factory where they have assured me they can give it a full historical report.

I can pretty much say its the oldest Orange Branded amp out there.

Whether it is officially branded Orange though or Matamp we have yet to discover.

Glad to see there is still some interest in this post by the way, cheers.

Andy

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:15 pm

Hello

Anybody who - like you - is into the Matamp/Orange Matamp era of Orange might be interested to see a book I wrote last year and is now
available direct from Matamp (Tel: 01484 854883) called 'Matamp at 60' .
It includes an exclusive recent interview with the designer of the Series 2000 - Tony Emerson.

The b&w illustrated book has been commended by the Matamp Users' Forum and I am especially pleased to learn that Mr Cliff Cooper
has also now given it a thumbs-up.

Best wishes

Martin Celmins

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info Martin. That is <i>definitely</i> of interest!

And Best Wishes to you too.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

DAVESOUNDS
Rocker

Post by DAVESOUNDS » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:17 pm

I have bought the book its pretty good really.......And a must for MatamP /Orange owners

cheers

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 pm

i found it to be a good read.

Amoun
Orange Expert

Post by Amoun » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:37 pm

only downside to it is that it is on the short side, it only takes a couple of hours to get through it, but it is loaded with tons of interesting stuff.