Rocker 30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 pm

I am really looking into Dr. Scientist stuff. I love the SDD, the Woofer and the cleaness. Particularly "The Cleaness" because of the fact that its a straight forward clean boost with an EQ that I could use to shape my sound. EQ + Boost pedal all rolled into one. Perfection IMO.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />I actually find the idea of the single knob on the natural channel to be refreshing.I mean,how many varieties of clean does one need...and for those that would say 'A lot',there are always eq pedals,or other amps! ;)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Full acknowledge !!!
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Oops, did I happen to link to this old thread just yesterday, and maybe help set the ball rolling again Hugh...? [:p]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />How do we like this amp now? [:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Liking it very much indeed here thanks! :)

Finally got mine a little over a year back. Sadly I've never had a chance to use it live yet, but it is what I'd choose if I was gigging on guitar.

Yeah, on p.2 of this thread I was keeping my fingers crossed that they'd voice the 'Natural' channel right. I reckon they did just that. On its own, dry, it isn't immediately outstanding. It certainly isn't over bright and sparkly in either a Vox or a Fender sort of way. Though when cranked up that is a pretty good thing IMO as it punches through just fine TYVM. But yeah, for a dead simple volume only channel I think it is great. I do like adding a hint of reverb, either with my Fender tank or an EH Holy Grail Plus pedal. Both make it sound 'bigger' and 'sweeter' to my ears. Hadn't heard of the Dr. Scientist stuff. Will be keeping my eyes and ears open there!

Thing is that as I said back then, (just 4 days off 4 years ago I see ;)), I really do like simple amps with simple channels. And this one gives a nice classic Orange tone, with pure power amp drive when cranked up. Tasty stuff! Reminds me strongly of the tone and the in your face dynamics of my OR120 and I wouldn't change it. It is indeed a great starting place for modifying with pedals etc. And since you have no tone controls you always know exactly where you are starting from! 8)

The drive channel is sooooo versatile. It can do the sparkly clean thing - beautifully. It can do the singing high gain lead thing - pretty much world class at that. It is also really good in my favourite clean through crunch rhythm zone, with tons of punchy dynamics. It really has all these areas covered. If you want it can get really aggressive which I really like too. Frankly it can be turned to a hugh variety of sounds and styles, and IMO can pull them <i>all</i> off very well. And as I've said before I find that the two channels mesh together exceptionally well. Switching between them is never a jar to the senses as it can be on some twin channel amps.

The amp suits all my various different guitars well too - Strat, the Gordon Smith (LP-ish with twin tappble 'buckers), and my twin soapbar Gibson LP Junior Special. It even sounds very nice indeed with my solid bodied nylon string Marleaux, and the low gain clean preamp handles the fairly hot output of its active preamp really well. That was a real bonus for me as otherwise I'd be having to put it through my Ampeg bass combo.

I'd always wanted a 30ish watt 1x12 Orange combo, and the one they came up with is bang on the money as far as I'm concerned. It is pretty loud for a 30 watter, even just through the single speaker. Sat on top of a good 2x12 it would be more than loud enough for me basically anywhere. Is it the 'best' Orange in the current range? Depends totally on your needs. For a less in your face more soulful more touch sensitive amp the AD30 would be better. The Rockerverbs are possibly even more versatile, but at the expense of having more complex circuits. They'll certainly suit some better than the wee Rocker, but not me. I really like the simplicity of the R.30 and it's strong dynamics. I haven't tried the Thunderverbs or the new OR50, both of which do appeal to me a lot, though both are bigger guitar amps than I'd really need or want.

So for me at least the answer is yes! The R.30 is the one I picked from the bunch and I'm well very well chuffed with it! It turned out pretty much exactly as I'd hoped it would, and that is a great credit to Ade Emsley's design skills. Honestly I believe it is destined to be (yet) another Orange classic! :D:D:D

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

_astroman1

Post by _astroman1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi All,

I have just bought a rocker 30 combo. I was looking at the VOX alternatives prior to buying this in the store, and when I went to the store, I was convinced that I was going to go with a Marshall purchase. I had a go of a few amps and narrowed my decision to a Vox AC15 or the rocker combo 30w.

I think that the rocker absolutely blew away the competition. It is by far the best amp that I have owned and I am really really pleased that I went ahead with the purchase.

I would recommend this amp to anyone who is looking for a small but powerful amp that has sweet tone and and excellent OD/Crunch channel.

Superb! Well done Orange.
_astroman1

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Best small combo out out there IMO. I have gigged with it alone as well as pushing my 412. It rocks, no doubt about it. Bulletproof, simple design. Get a Roland FS-1 switch for the channel and there are plenty of options out there if you can't live without reverb. Only one condition, you have to have a decent guitar for the clean channel because with only a volume knob, what you put in is what you get out.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:32 pm

I like mine. Some days I love it, and some days I don't love it as much. But it rarely lets me down, and those rare times are when I set the EQ or gain/master at weird settings I know wouldn't work (when I can't see the controls very well, dimly lit stage, etc)

YEAH ROCKER 30!!!!!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:07 am

Brillant Amp Great Sound - although I like mine with Svetlana winged Cs
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30