OT: favorite concerts.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu May 15, 2008 9:32 pm

so i was thinking about this. what are some of the best concerts you've ever been to?

-red hot chili peppers w/ stone temple pilots, oct. 2000, thomas and mack center, las vegas.
phenomenal show. john, flea and chad jammed for a good 15 minutes during the encore set. stp slayed as well.

-q and not u w/ supersystem, sept. 2005, the black cat, wdc.
really, q were great every time i saw them, but this was their final two shows. completely validated everything that was great about that band. truly a shame not more people knew about them or caught their shows.

-mos def and talib kweli are blackstar, coachella festival, may 2005.
first time i saw blackstar. common joined them onstage. before their set, nine inch nails played the mainstage. truly easy to get a spot upfront if you could navigate the mass exodus of black clothing and too much makeup.

-thrice, july 4 2002, desert breeze park, las vegas.
one of the most fierce and intense shows i've seen thrice do, and i've seen them 8 times or so. dan movielife came out and sang with them on 'to awake and avenge the dead.' next day was warped tour with glassjaw, hot water music, movielife, alkaline trio, thursday and some others.

-thursday and the movielife, march 2002, tremorz, las vegas.
stunning show from both bands, don't remember the openers, but they were pretty lame.

-alkaline trio, march 2006, the joint, las vegas.
occult roots tour. full set of ****, some acoustic, some new stuff. too bad their latest album might be kinda weak.

honorable mentions to rock the bells fest in san b (wu-tang, lauryn hill, blackstar, aesop rock, del tha funkee homosapien, cypress hill, dilated peoples, immortal technique, murs, living legends and some others); gdb/over the line cd release gig, dec 05; jonah's onelinedrawing in the huntridge lobby back in 03 or 04; r.e.m. and wilco in 03 and any time i've ever seen the flaming lips.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm

3EB in a small place ~350 people at the UofI in 2004.
Stephen Jenkins got in a fight with GF Vanessa Carlton.
I watched him scream into his cell phone then throw/smash it into the wall.
Then he came on stage told us they were gonna play all the songs a little louder and a little faster tonight,
because he was pissed at his girlfriend.

The show had SO much energy.
Every song killed.

----------------------------

Only show that comes close to that for me was watching
Emery & Anberlin in the same venue at the UofI in 2006.
Great sets played, lots of energy.

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm

1) Muse headlining Reading festival 2006
2) Radiohead and Beck at Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh
3) Biffy Clyro at Leeds festival 2007
Josh

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu May 15, 2008 9:54 pm

forgot a couple.

-superdrag/deathray davies, august 01, the castle, las vegas.
first time i saw an orange full stack in person. awesome bands, very loud.

-planesmistakenforstars/kylesa/glass and ashes, summer 05, roadhouse, las vegas.
great thrash show, one of the last times pmfs did copper and stars live.

-andrew wk, sept 03, huntridge, las vegas.
invited everyone on stage.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Alice cooper, with motorhead and joan jett an the blackhearts backing, the atmosphere was immense
Liam

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Boris - Manchester Ruby Lounge, 2008
Tool - Nottingham Arena, 2007
Karma to Burn - Bradford Rios, 1999
Unida - Manchester University, 200?

Man they were all bloody great.

tristan
Rocker

Post by tristan » Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Dead Meadow - The Social, Orlando, FL 2008

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Fri May 16, 2008 12:07 am

i haven't been to many concerts but the best for me so far is jonny lang, anberlin, and soon to be john mayer/colbie caillat

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri May 16, 2008 12:17 am

two more for me...

-cursive, some dude's driveway, august 2004, las vegas.
right after cursive started to get 'big' i saw them play this house party during the MAGIC convention in vegas. timmy k. let me call the setlist and they did two covers: 'just what i needed' by the cars and 'voices carry' by til tuesday. tim harrington from les savy fav was there and hejumped in the pool in his undies at some point.

-the good life/the velvet teen/consafos, may 2005, porter's pub, san diego.
ended up being a tim kasher solo show for the good life's set, as their drummer had injured his ankle the week before. velvet teen's singer was also injured with a broken wrist, so they had an additional guitarist and no keyboards for their set. judah was hitting himself in the face and really drunk that night.

-the rentals, july 2007, beauty bar, las vegas.
least favorite venue in town, but the rentals rocked it. plus all the oranges and moogs on stage were a gearhead wet dream. when they came back, they played house of blues and there were not many people there, but they played my favorite song (barcelona).

J.W.
Rocker

Post by J.W. » Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 am

Oooh. . . tough topic. I saw the original lineup of the Animals play last summer in Portland, Oregon, for Bluesfest. That was a real treat. There were some other big name bands there as well, but the Animals definitely stole the show. I'm only 24, but I'm really into the '60s blues-rock and acid rock, among other things. Those guys play <i>extremely</i> tight, and sounded great, and may never play shows again.

The only other that would compare was The Mars Volta here in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom on April 20 of this year. . . 420 baby!! That was an indescribable experience. Like, on-another-level-type experience. Other than the crowd being PACKED, it was perfect.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 am

Aerosmith-1979
death, and hammerfall
molly hatchet, blackfoot, helix-1982
danzig-1989
pantera, white zombie-1996
john fogerty- both times were amazing
buddy guy-2004
Many others, these just stand out.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:34 am

Wishbone Ash/Camel at the Atlanta municipal Auditorium in '74
The Pat Metheny Group at the Fox Theater '93
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush The Variety Playhouse Oct '07
Paint it blue 4 soul.

JackoMBA
Orange Hero

Post by JackoMBA » Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 am

Metallica (Justice tour ... 1989?) Felt just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17l1NXGJDIQ . Jason newstead still had long hair and he rocked the show; it seemed like he could hardly contain himself back then. James really did a great job getting the crowd going too.

My second favorite is probably Alice Cooper/Motorhead back in 1988. I went to see Motorhead more than Alice Cooper. Lemmy is god. He walks on stage, screams a couple of obscenities in the mic then gets into my favorite Motorhead song right off the bat "Doctor Rock". I just about lost it. It was so loud my airs rang for 2 days.

There hadn't been too many concerts in my town (population 150,000) but there have been a big push for concerts lately. I'm seeing Lenny Kravitz in a few months, and I might see George Thorogood in June. My wife wants to see Avril Lavigne in the Fall. I'm buying her tickets for birthday. I'll bring my binoculars for that show.
Amps: Orange TH30, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, Eleven Rack, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard LE (Manhattan Midnight blue), Greco white LP, Burny honeyburst LP, PRS Torero.

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Fri May 16, 2008 1:55 am

August Burns Red.

I've seen them three times and all 3 times were absolutely insane. they're so so good live.
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 am

Pink Floyd in '77 Atlanta.The Animals tour (not my favorite of their albums). They did play all of Wish You Were Here, and most of DSOM.
Paint it blue 4 soul.