My frist DIY pedal and some other pedal MODs!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue May 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey everyone!

I just finished my first DIY pedal (with the generous help of Neil Oler that is!:D) and i though i would share a bit of it with you. :)

the pedal has one true bypass loop and also a channel selector jack (and Orange LED 8)). the purpose of this pedal is it allows me to use my pedalboard on the clean channel of my amp, and with the push of one button, bypass my pedalboard and switch to the dirty channel of my Rocker 30.
i use delay alot..but we all know that it sound horrible and unclear before overdrive/distortion. so i never use it on the dirty channel of my amp. so if i didnt have this pedal, i would have to turn off all my delay/time based effects (plus any overdives that might be on) and THEN switch to the dirty channel of my amp. this pedal allows me to
switch the channel of my amp and bypass all effects that wouldn't sound good on the Dirty channel: in the push of only ONE button!

Again, all thanks goes to Neil for helping me out on this one! if you want one, he builds and sells 'em. ;)

i also got two new pedals: A Fulldrive 2 (non-mosfet) and a DD-5.
i got both of them at great prices off of ebay. I got the DD-5 for really, really cheap because the seller thought one of the modes didnt work.. turns out they just didnt know how to use the "hold" mode. i got the pedal and its in perfect condition! :]

i also did two mods on my DD-5 and DL-4:
On the DD-5 i installed Monte Allum's high-cut mod. i am happy with the sound of this mod; but i wouldn't say that it makes it sound more like an analog delay. it just kinda reduces the highs and repeats a little bit..so its not as bright sounding. great mod for the price.
i also build that micro tap tempo pedal below the dd5

On my DL-4 i installed an external tap-tempo jack so that i can plug my DD-5 into the Dl-4 and use the Dl-4's tap tempo switch for both delay pedals! its very useful for layering multiple delays and it works great! i usually set my DD5 to a triplet delay setting, and my Dl4 to a quarter note delay. and all i have to do is tap the tempo in my Dl-4 and it sets tempo for both pedals. very, very, VERY, useful mod! :D

-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 pm

Great mods man! That pedal looks and sounds really cool too! I've built a couple of pedals but still haven't painted them yet. Eventually i may get round to it! :D
Josh

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Tue May 13, 2008 8:56 pm

That DIY pedal is a great idea!
I really like the principle behind it......well done to you and to Neil too......he's some guy! :oops:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 pm

That thing looks fantastic! Way to go, probably one of the most useful boxes in an Orange arsenal.

Whats the toggle for?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Awesome! Good job!

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />That thing looks fantastic! Way to go, probably one of the most useful boxes in an Orange arsenal.

Whats the toggle for?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

the toggle turns the loop (pedalboard) On or Off on the dirty channel (the loop is always engaged on the clean channel).

Normally, i use it like this:
<b>clean channel/loop engaged </b>
<b>dirty channel/loop bypassed</b>

but i wanted to have the option to always have the pedalboard running.
thats what the toggle switch is for. :)
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 am

cool idea for a pedal...Reminds me of this from a few years back:

http://www.geocities.com/negauneemusic/WSW.swf
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Wed May 14, 2008 2:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Knuckle Bones</i>
<br />cool idea for a pedal...Reminds me of this from a few years back:

wow, thats a great idea as well!
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

onewaycpr
Orange Master

Post by onewaycpr » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Knuckle Bones</i>
<br />cool idea for a pedal...Reminds me of this from a few years back:

i totally wanna do this...

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed May 14, 2008 1:24 pm

BTW....for those that don't know...the WSW puts and effects loop on both side of you channel selector...so when you change channels you change to what ever effects are in the corrisponding loop too. So one step to switch to your clean or dirty effects settings.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

p-trax
Tiny Terror

Post by p-trax » Wed May 14, 2008 3:16 pm

NIce work, liking that that flash demo also :)
Gerry