This may be a problem...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 pm

So i have recently come into ownership of an AD15/12, and first impressions have been great. Solid, loud, great tone. Only I'm starting to have a doubt or two....
Some of the stuff i like to play requires a bit more gain, so i thought "hey, no problem, i'll just run my OD-3 into it". Uh-oh. Nearly tore my head off with feedback, which i cut by killing the volume on the guitar.
Once the volume was off, the amp continued to hiss quite loudly. Now, i wasn't running that pedal at more than 12 o'clock on the gain, and it's not a super-powerful pedal.
I'm starting to wonder if i should just go with something that has more gain and dial back when i need to, rather than fight it up when i want to?

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:58 pm

adding gain is proberbly gunna ass hiss.. lots of amps kick out a bit of white noise with the gain up, even with nothing plugged into them!..

rather than an od pedal, a clean boost might be better, pushing the tubes to saturate more, rather than using the od for more gain..

i'd assume that that would be the best way to work with an ad15..
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:58 pm

you have an awesome user name..

Jon

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm

if you decide to get a new amp, email me haha
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm

I may have to, sadly. I love my little Orange. Only when i was looking around i guess i was still used to seeing mesa propaganda where "low gain" was at like Dokken level, lol

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bythepowerofgrayskull</i>
<br />So i have recently come into ownership of an AD15/12, and first impressions have been great. Solid, loud, great tone. Only I'm starting to have a doubt or two....
Some of the stuff i like to play requires a bit more gain, so i thought "hey, no problem, i'll just run my OD-3 into it". Uh-oh. Nearly tore my head off with feedback, which i cut by killing the volume on the guitar.
Once the volume was off, the amp continued to hiss quite loudly. Now, i wasn't running that pedal at more than 12 o'clock on the gain, and it's not a super-powerful pedal.
I'm starting to wonder if i should just go with something that has more gain and dial back when i need to, rather than fight it up when i want to?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hey, man

I just bought the same amp last week, but mine has't been shipped yet.
I have a couple of questions for ya. When you were playing
Did you have the volume up say half way or so?
Are you playing a hollowbody?
How old are the preamp tubes?
Did you check the pedal? (lowing the gain stuff)

If your where playing with the volume cranked could be a pre-amp tube.

If playing with hollowbody with volume cranked could be normal feedback from increase of volume and gain. (On that note, try your amp with a different guitar and overdrive pedal, but I doubt its your guitar)

I agree with rr_william up there, try a clean boost pedal or run your od with the level up and gain at like 8 or 9 o clock.
Amps: 67' AC30 TB
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

bringitonhome

Post by bringitonhome » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm

well, how does the tone sound when you are playing? What if you stuck a noise gate in front of it?

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:26 pm

How are you running the AD15 gain wise and how much more gain are you looking for?
I use a FD2 Mosfet with my AD15 which adds enough gain for me. I run the AD15 at about 11 o clock on the gain and run the FD2 with gain at about 11. This easily gets heavier ACDC tones which is all I'm looking for really.

The AD15 really sounds best imo with the gain below 2 o clock. It also doesn't have as agood a master vol as say the Tiny Terror which still sounds great if you max the gain and back the volume off.

Have you tried a Tiny Terror? It might get you where you want...
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

My TT laughs at my Keeley TS9. Bink is right the terror does the dirt well when you push the gain.
Vince

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br />My TT laughs at my Keeley TS9. Bink is right the terror does the dirt well when you push the gain.
:D It's why I have both! 8)
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Yeah Baby!!!!!:D

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bink</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br />My TT laughs at my Keeley TS9. Bink is right the terror does the dirt well when you push the gain.
:D It's why I have both! 8)
Vince

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Keep the AD 15/12. Get a Distortion Pedal.
The Crunchbox is good.
For more Gain , get an AMT California .
Rocktron has a bunch of High gain stuff as well.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

bythepowerofgrayskull

Post by bythepowerofgrayskull » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 pm

To Musicman_1300:
ALL the tubes are brand-new JJ's
I was running it all the way up
And no, no hollowbody guitar.
Sadly I can't try it out with any other guitars, as i don't really have any others...
(the tele is being borrowed)
I mean, don't get me wrong, i love the sound, i just think i might need a bit more versitility. At home i play all kinds of stuff that sounds killer on the AD15. However, I play some post-modern grunge/hardcore with friends/in a side band. I was hoping that a pedal could give me the extra power, but it sure does screw things up a bit.
I may have to go with a Rocker series or a Marshall :x

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Avoid Boss Distortion. They hiss constantly. Keep your AD amp distortion turned down, and then crank the distortion on a higher quality OD pedal. Zvex Box of Rock, Catlinbread Teaser Stallion, Xotic BB Preamp are 3 that I know are Fantastic. Watch videos on the pedals off of Youtube to see what catches your eye. The more overdrive you run before your amps Preamp (distortion), the more noise and crappy sound you will get. For my AD30 I run my distortion pedals into Channel 1 with the overdrive turned down low, like 10 o'clock. It works great, and I still get the feel of the AD30.