retubing Rocker 30: what are your favorite tubes?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Hey everyone!
Im retubing my R30 soon, and i was wondering: what are your favorite Power and preamp tubes?

I am <b>mainly</b> looking for a really good, <i>bright</i> clean sound on the Natural channel. what tubes could help me achieve this? :?::?:

also, what are all the direct replacement vales for an EL34 and how are the different in sound? the only one i know of so far is the KT77.

thanks! :)
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm

I love JJ KT77's.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by d.vid</i>
<br />Hey everyone!
Im retubing my R30 soon, and i was wondering: what are your favorite Power and preamp tubes?

I am <b>mainly</b> looking for a really good, <i>bright</i> clean sound on the Natural channel. what tubes could help me achieve this? :?::?:

also, what are all the direct replacement vales for an EL34 and how are the different in sound? the only one i know of so far is the KT77.

thanks! :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I second Bandepart, I use them in my amp now. They don't sound quite as aggressive as JJE34L's (I've never used their EL34's, but I hear they sound the same basically), but they have deeper lows and maybe alittle more sparkle in the cleans.. anyway they sound great. Also another replacement is the 6CA7 tube, I've never tryed though.

I have a NOS GE tube and thats my favorite so far:)

I think you'll like the KT77's ;)
Amps: 67' AC30 TB
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm

I liked the SED winged =C='s myself, but have heard good things about the JJ 77's.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

anolanbfg
Orange Hero

Post by anolanbfg » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:05 pm

i have winged c's too- although you know I really didn't mind the original Electro Harmonix ones tbh
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Taylor 310- Koa
Orange Rocker 30

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 pm

do the KT77s give more clean headroom? how do they compare to the EH? because Im liking the break up point on the stock EH tubes..

also what are some bright sounding Preamp tubes?
i replaced the stock valve in V1 with a Ruby 12ax7 that was in my old Deluxe Reverb and it brightened it up a little bit.

I was also thinking about getting some THD El34 to El84 Yellow Jackets to get a Voxy clean. has anyone tried these yellow jackets before? would i need to make any adjustments or just slap them in and go for it?
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 pm

bumpity bump
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage