Vintage PROCO Rat

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Hey guys, wondering if any of you knew if the Original vintage rats were true by pass? i know the new ones are but the last thing i need is another vintage pedal on my board that sucks tone.
thanks!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:02 am

True Bypass is a catchword for knobs who will chuck a great pedal in the trash in the pursuit of sonic clarity that they cant even hear. my 2 cents.

Controlo
Orange Expert

Post by Controlo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wendigo</i>
<br />True Bypass is a catchword for knobs who will chuck a great pedal in the trash in the pursuit of sonic clarity that they cant even hear. my 2 cents.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

true.

BUT

i'll compare it to weight reduction in a car. think horsepower to weight ratio for a second. you might take out the spare tire and someone might say "you're not going to even see a difference"

but, if you take out the spare tire, rear board, rear carpet, headrests, tools, jack, etc... things start to add up.

using a true bypass pedal gets you one step closer to clarity, as well as a good cable, good wiring in your guitar, etc.

it's the collective that matters.

btw, i don't know if the vintage ones are true bypass. :/

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:19 am

I don't know about the cables, but I would agree with the Wendigo, true-bypass is not always your best friend. Get the pedal. If it sounds good, then use it.

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:59 am

Well, it doesnt answer the Rat question, but it sheds a little light on the true bypass argument.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_again ... ypass.html
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night