Effect placement

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 am

I only have a distortion, analog delay and volume pedal.
ive heard many different placements but i would rather ask
people who use orange amps like all the fine people on this forum.
how can you describe putting a delay before an overdrive? and does it really matter where i put the volume pedal?
thanks

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 am

The major problem I see with the Delay before the overdrive is that you wouldn't be able to play clean with the spillover of a distorted delay.

I think thats the situation I am thinking of anyway, I confused myself
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 am

Well, a Delayed Overdrive, or an Overdriven Delay. Experiment with how your guitar sounds with each pedal in different placement. Id say use the Volume 1st, then Distortion, then Delay. You can use the Volume to create some cool Sweeping overdriven effects, echoing back through the delay. Awesome.

delirious131
Orange Hero

Post by delirious131 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:28 pm

I would go volume, overdrive, then delay. Never been a big fan of delay before overdrive
-Cliff
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Tiny Terror
Gibson Les Paul R8
Gibson ES-335
Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Fender Flamecaster
Gibson Les Paul GECKO!!!
A Bunch of Pedals

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:49 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delirious131</i>
Never been a big fan of delay before overdrive
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Never.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:55 pm

This pedal order article by Keeley may help you.....:)

Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget. Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement: Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect. Wah -> Which, Compressor -> Chain, Overdrive -> Of, EQ -> Effect, Pitch -> Pedals, Modulation -> Make, Level -> Life, Echo -> Easy. I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We'll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn't being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can't handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.
Vince

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm

volume pedal and distortion placement is important, and the delay and distortion is also important!...

putting the volume pedal before the distortion will allow you to clean up the distorted level.. giving less gain, after will act as a volume!..

delay before it will distort the delayed sound, it sounds muddy and not terribly good - this is why amps have effects loops, using the preamp gain, into the delay, then into the clean sounding poweramp...

as ryan said, a delayed overdrive (clear sounding repeats) or overdriven delay (muddy, noisy and not too useable)

deffinately go distortion into delay, then the volume pedal where you want it.. if you;ve got an amo with a loop, try the delay in the loop, od before the amp.. and play with the placement of the volume pedal (loop, infront or behind the od!)
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

delirious131
Orange Hero

Post by delirious131 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Good article DRdos.
-Cliff
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Tiny Terror
Gibson Les Paul R8
Gibson ES-335
Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Fender Flamecaster
Gibson Les Paul GECKO!!!
A Bunch of Pedals

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks Cliff. I've used Keeley's placement for yrs and no weird sound issues including hum or noise...
Vince

yvon
Orange Expert

Post by yvon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:12 pm

You may want to take a look at this
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

robchappers
Orange Expert

Post by robchappers » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi mate, I would put the Delay and volume through the effects loop delay first in line. And then put the dist in the front :)
Rob Chappers
Monkey Lord
uk.youtube.com/RobChappers
http://www.monkeylord.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 pm

As a TT user the delay is before the preamp for me. (Actually the RE-20 is my only effect), but it's pretty subtle, as my level of overdrive. It's not too muddy.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon