Vox AC30 vs Mesa Lonestar

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:31 pm

AC30 hands down.

I'm an AC30 nut, I love them to death...so maybe I'm a bit biased. But here's the thing. I use my Rocker30h all the time...but only because it's more reliable... the AC30 does have a better tone, no ands ifs or buts. Especially when I throw it through the PPC212 to take advantage of four killer speakers! Mines a 1973, so it's a bit different story... BUT

If I didn't decide two years ago that I'd sell my Korg reissue (which was my gigging amp, the 1973 was recording) to buy a Fender Bassman reissue, I never would have bought the Custom Classic... the Custom Classic is the most pathetic sounding AC30 to date (it still sounds pretty good though) and I regret getting rid of the Korg... I got so frustrated with the CC that I traded it in for my Les Paul and for the longest time only had the 1973... the 1973 blew up (again) and I bought the Orange.

The thing was though...I sold my 212 Lonestar Classic to buy my Korg Reissue. :) and I liked my Lonestar.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:01 pm

i have a lone star cab, and i like it quite alot. but i've played a few of the lone star amps and they really didn't amaze me. like most mesa amps. i only really have liked their trem-o-verbs.
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

crash
Orange Master

Post by crash » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:03 pm

well, would you rather have apple pie and ice cream or fish and chips? ;)
ImageImage
Orange Master? Not Quite...
The Name's Daniel, but you can call me Crash
"If God had'na given me a song to sing, I wouldn't have a song to sing. The song comes from God, all the time." Bob Marley

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />I would get the mesa. In a heartbeat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I know it doesn't appear to be the overall
consensus by any means, but I will stand
by my friend Scott...Get the Mesa!

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Thats what Ive been thinking. I love Vox, but it is a one stop shop amp. I can do more with the Mesa, even if the Vox sounds better clean. Id lose a piece of History, (even if it is only 10 years old), but Id have an amp I can do more with. DAMN why cant money grow on trees? I want both!!! Argh. Nothing beats a Vox Clean, but damn, Im not a clean player anyways. Shoot. I hate being so back and forth haha.

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rocksully</i>
<br />Thats what Ive been thinking. I love Vox, but it is a one stop shop amp. I can do more with the Mesa, even if the Vox sounds better clean. Id lose a piece of History, (even if it is only 10 years old), but Id have an amp I can do more with. DAMN why cant money grow on trees? I want both!!! Argh. Nothing beats a Vox Clean, but damn, Im not a clean player anyways. Shoot. I hate being so back and forth haha.
It's a tough choice.
Close your eyes for a few moments
and envision yourself playing them
both. When you open your eyes focus on
the Vox...then decide. If you still want
the Mesa, then you will know what to do.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:37 pm

I played that mesa at gc a while back, and I really liked it. But, then again, I am not a clean player either. But, there is a lot you can get out of it.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />I played that mesa at gc a while back, and I really liked it. But, then again, I am not a clean player either. But, there is a lot you can get out of it.

Everyone can be a "clean" player if they
were to simply take a shower before plugging
in! [:0][:0][:0]

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />I played that mesa at gc a while back, and I really liked it. But, then again, I am not a clean player either. But, there is a lot you can get out of it.

Everyone can be a "clean" player if they
were to simply take a shower before plugging
in! [:0][:0][:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>That is the only clean I am.:D
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 pm

that's funny that it seems like most people who love Orange don't enjoy playing Mesa's. haha. add me to the list cause Orange is the first amp I would want to play and Mesa is the very last. Anyways,
I would say keep the VOX but judging by you're defensiveness on the mesa deal and the repeated posts on how you dont play the vox, I think you've already made you're decision. Just make sure you give the vox a good home because they don't make em like they use to and there is always someone dying to find a reliable Vox.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 pm

I'll take the Vox off your hands
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 pm

If I were going for a Vox I would buy a Matchless.The Matchless DC 30 is the only amp I have played that I liked as well as my Retro 50.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

mastertrax
Rocker

Post by mastertrax » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:34 pm

I'm a Mesa fan, have owned several, played many and still have one (see my sig)

I STILL say keep the AC30! Mesas will always be around and another deal will be along.
New World Studios, Texas USA

Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha and Simon & Patrick Guitars and basses
Orange RV50, Mesa Rocket 44, Mesa Road King 4x12
Maxon, Xotic and Catalinbread boosts and overdrives

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:22 am

Good point. There will always be deals. Im going to try to take the Mesa home to compare side by side with the Vox, to see which one suits me better. Having the Vox is sweet, great for recording, and sounds killer paired up with the Orange, but curing the GAS and having another amp that I would actually want to use every day as opposed to once in a while would be great. Im trading in a few pedals against the amp so I can take it home and try it out with my setup. Talking to the salesman, who is a friend of mine, he said that he'd take my Les Paul off of my hands in trade, BUT I use my LP every day, so that's just not an option. An amp is an amp, but a Guitar is a GUITAR. None are the same.

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 am

Ok, someone is stopping by in 1/2 an hour to try the Vox. This could be my last 30 mins with it. Im making a mistake, BUT it could be going to a good home. A nice older gentleman. I keep telling myself to be responsible and lose the gear that Im not using, BUT of course, as soon as it's gone I'll want to use it. Im way to indecisive about this haha. Whatever. There will be other amps that are BETTER than an AC30. Sure!!! TOTALLY! I'll get some JJ Tubes for my Orange AD30 and then life will make sense again.