Vox AC30 vs Mesa Lonestar

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:20 am

I am an Orange addict. Orange is my amp. BUT of course, I saw a deal that has totally caught my eye. I found a good deal on a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12. It is pretty fun to play though.
I have a UK Vox AC30TB with Celestion Blues. I dont use this amp as Im always playing through my Orange. The Mesa seems like it would be more versatile for recording. The AC30 sounds AMAZING! So much personality in the tone. Ohh the TONE! But for just playing without effect pedals, it is strictly a clean amp.
Should I sell my AC30TB to get the Mesa?
I could use the Mesa more, but then Id be losing a piece of history. The Mesa sounds great, has an effect loop, built in overdrive.
The Vox is a classic, and is crazy loud! The cleans are the best.
Trying to decide. . . . . .

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:44 am

N e v e r sell an amp that you're satisfied with!
Money come and go but a sweet ac30tb doesn't!
If you've got GAS or if you're plain restless for another amp: save up to it. You'll be glad you did.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:03 am

Seriously, I would stick with the Vox AC30TB - a good new production Vox is a little tricky to come by as they seem to have had hit and miss quality control issues since the 90's (at least!). If your's is still ticking, I would say keep it. It's an amazing amp.

BUT, I've never been a fan of Mesa's, so I guess it's not a fair opinion. Never played that Mesa either.
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:05 am

Well, this Mesa deal is pretty sweet. If I let it go, it's gone. The Vox is great, but there are Pros and Cons either way. I would regret selling it, but right now its just someplace to place my Keys, as I dont use it.

Oranges and Lemons
Orange Hero

Post by Oranges and Lemons » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:10 am

Keep the Vox.
Flip

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:46 am

Look at my sig pic and you will find your answer.

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 am

Hmm, not to many Mesa fans here.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 am

I've heard and played some great Mesa amps, and they are great for some stuff, and even some other stuff people don't believe they can do (I really liked a blues tone I was getting out of a dual recto head, yeah, that's right!)

I'd also look into getting an ABY switch so you can play your two amps together at one time, that gives you a really sweet way to layer everything.

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:22 am

i think you'd miss the ac-30 for recording your clean tones.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:08 am

It's a tough call, as the AC30 is the best for cleans, but I simply do not use it. The Mesa seems like an amp that I could get more general use out of. The AC30 is a 97 Korg reissue. The Mesa just looks so damn good. Stained wood body. Effects loop, I think it wood really tie the room together. haha. Hmm, I get a paycheque in 2 weeks.

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:17 am

well you know best what amp would suit your style. if you can buy it- play them both over a period of time and get rid of the one you dont like. ive only heard one lonestar my guitarist recorded with but it was crappy hardcore/metal so i dont know its full capabilities.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rocksully</i>
<br />Hmm, not to many Mesa fans here.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Oh yeah, I'm a known sympathiser. (Subway Rocket Reverb combo in my case.) But no way would I want to lose the character of my AC30. Having both is ideal, but I'd not lose the AC30 for any Mesa. AC30s are <i>not</i> all equal, and if you have a great one - keep it! The Mesas are indeed great, versatile, etc etc etc. But they are also so well built and consistent that you'd be hard pressed to find a duffer. Not true of AC30s...

Hope you can wrangle <i>both</i> somehow.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Camf
Rocker

Post by Camf » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:42 am

IMHO... buy the Mesa. OK, you're losing a piece of history but who wants to be history. If you're going to use the Mesa and it's going to move you forward... no contest, do it! If the Vox is gathering dust then I'd shift it. I parted with My TT for the same reason. I liked it a lot but I needed more flexibility to do what I needed to do in rehearsal and live. One great tone is a wonderful thing but I wanted an amp that gave me more flexibility... it had to go! Course, it would be great to be able to keep them all but I hate the thought of good amps just gathering dust when other people could be getting the most out of them. Like I said, just my opinion, but I would get what you need to do your best work and enjoy your music.

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks Andy. Yeah, Im trying to find a way to have both, but I might have to sell my Les Paul to do so. That doesnt seem right. Good ol' Layaway is coming my way. Bye Bye guitar effects, Hello Payment plan.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I would get the mesa. In a heartbeat.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;