Stratocaster Help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Hey,
I'm looking to buy a Strat Body off ebay and I was wondering what is the difference between the 57 reissues, the 64 reissue and the 70's reissue. From what I can gather, the bodies basically got heavier in weight? This is just a guess. Let me know if you can clear things up. Thanks.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Well, with the reissues, the body weight is pretty much all going to be in the same ballpark- it's the REAL guitars from those eras that have the varying weight, with many 70's being the heavyweight culprits.

I don't know for sure, but as far as differences, the only difference I can think of SHOULD be a slight difference in the route for the control cavity. Around the point where the three-way switch is located there is a 'shoulder' in the routing for the extra screw in the pickguard that later versions had... I'm not so sure that they're that particular- but I would not be surprised if the MIJ/ Japanese version was detailed correctly!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Guess I'm right. Here's a 57 reissue:

and a 62:

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Wow! So obvious when you seem them side by side like that!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:11 pm

70's will be similar to the 60's EXCEPT it will have a three bolt neck. Avoid that...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br />Wow! So obvious when you seem them side by side like that!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What's really scary is I know all this stuff... Sheryl always used to brag about me to other musicians that "Billy knows what the correct screws are on a '57 Tele..."

Tafarel
Orange Expert

Post by Tafarel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:28 pm

I could be wrong, but I had come to understand that the '50s era strats had deeper body contours.
-Tafa

Guitars: EJ Stratocaster, '60 Stratocaster, '63 Tele Custom Relic Ltd, '62 AVRI Jazzmaster, '57 CS Les Paul Goldtop, '76 LP Special, HFender Precision Bass

Amps: Marshall Super 100JH, Marshall 1987x w/1960TV cab, Fender Super Reverb, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall 1962x

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What's really scary is I know all this stuff... Sheryl always used to brag about me to other musicians that "Billy knows what the correct screws are on a '57 Tele..."<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well I wouldn't be worried about that! In Sheryl's eyes you are obviously one cool guy! :D
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tafarel</i>
<br />I could be wrong, but I had come to understand that the '50s era strats had deeper body contours.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

They should have... as far as I know, only custom shops had deeper contours... these two are the same as far as I can tell:

57 back:

62 back: