Orange amp quesitons! help!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:01 am

ok so i have a couple question before i throw down for my 2nd orange amp..the ad 140 is beautiful but i want a combo.

- how do orange combo 30's compare to vox ac 30's?

- how does the ad30r compare to the rocker 30?

- is the reverb the same on ALL orange amps?

- i read that the natural channel on the rocker combo allows
your "natural" guitar tone to come through. any +/- expieriences with that?

thank you!

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:03 am

p.s im asking the comparison questions in terms of mostly sounds and am not too concerned with the different features ie effects loops, tremolo, headphone hack whatever. thanks again.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:34 am

I would say that the AD30TC and AD30R clean is similar to a Vox AC30 combo but a little darker in tone. The AD series is a little bit brighter and chimier and has more clean tones on tap than the Rocker series, although the rocker 30's dirty channel does have some great clean tones on the "Dirty" channel if you just roll back on the gain and up on the volume.

The AD's have a milder overdrive than the Rocker series if you were to dime it out.

I can't comment on the Orange reverb because I've only owned the AD30TC and Rocker 30, and the 30 watt Orange amps don't come with on board reverb.

Like I said, I used to own the Rocker 30 (and I really miss it), and the clean channel was extremely beautiful with my guitars, and it had a nice natural breakup when the volume was rolled high enough, but I found the "natural" tone to be unusable in my own personal band setting. I've seen other people use that natural tone successfully in their bands, but I needed an EQ and a gain control so that's why I jumped over to the AD30TC. It's definitely something you should try before you buy.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:35 am

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

vchizzle
Rocker

Post by vchizzle » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:58 am

1st, Welcome to the forum radiohead fan! Great band.

The Vox has a brighter overall tone and chime. Jangley is often used to describe them. You already know the Orange has the darker lower mid tone to it. Cleanish tones, I like the AC30 better than the AD30's, but many here like the AD30's alot - I just don't get on too well with them. The Rocker 30 has quite a bit more gain on tap than an AD30r. The gain as well as the bottom end have a thick tone and more of a thump on the Rocker. I don't have problems with the natural channel. I like that its just volume, all my guitars and pickup settings sound different, they sound good, some I like better than others, but all useable tones for something. The gain channel of the R30 is a little louder than the natural channel. Some have complained about breakup too early, I haven't had issue with that. Using neck pickups and right hand picking dynamics can go a long way. I tested the natural channel with a PRS SE and it sounded good. Later with my US made PRS - even better.

Reverb is the same on all Orange as far as i know.

inrainbows

Post by inrainbows » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:32 am

Thanks for your help guys! it definetly clears things up.
Another question.
How is the head room on the AD30R?

I mainly play a hollow body with p90s. pretty growly.