My 1971 Superlead is ALIVE!!!! Finally

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:30 am

So I just wanted to shout!!!! YEAAAAAAAYYY!

Last spring my 1971 superlead was making all kinds of noises and try as I might to locate the source I couldn’t. I had replaced a bunch of the original components as they failed and it occurred to me I was troubleshooting it almost as much as playing it.

It really had no collector value as it was a hacked, wonder-mod special when I bought it. Most of the original mustard caps were leaky, the head case was in splinters (had to replace it with a Mojo). So I came to the conclusion that I should totally rebuilt it. I built a new Metro board, replaced all the jacks, filter caps, pots, tube sockets and fitted a modern output selector switch. I found a cool power cord strain relief locking grommet and I plugged up the extra holes in the back with panel fasteners.

I wired all the sockets/internal wiring with Teflon coated wire (pulled from the scraps of one of our labs)

I bought a plexi panel for the front and came up with a 67-68 transition circuit (well, sort of, typical split cathode arrangement but with .1 coupling caps, a .68 bypass cap etc).

The original iron PT and OT anyway were fine but I had to replace the choke with a MM a while ago.

Here’s the board before I cut everything out.

Everything is pulled out (I even replaced the trannie wire grommets.

I replaced the pretube sockets with NOS cinch and the output tube sockets with NOS Amphenol, courtesy George at Metro Amp.

Here’s the back

The new board is fitted

New tubes

After a quick voltage check out I fire her up

The original paper tags are still in tact

I kept all the original parts. I’m not sure why. But I did.

I think it sounds better than ever or maybe I haven’t heard it in so long I don’t remember how good it sounded when everything worked right!

Anyway, my player 1971 plexi is ALIVE : )

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978