Jazzmaster vs. Jaguar....Let me know!!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:29 am

yeah, american made. I really like the current neck pickup, I just ordered one of his p90 bridge pickups though. Hopefully that will be pretty good. I think thats the same model you got for your bridge pickup?
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:18 am

Jazzmaster for the versatility and killer looks.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:23 am

it is indeed, hope it treats you just as well.

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:46 am

Ok, so far seems as though the Jazzmaster is the route to go. Keep in mind that I've played Gibson my whole life and if wasn't Gibson, it still had Humbuckers....this being said, although I am after a brighter, twangy sound, it sounds like the Jag may be a little too THIN sounding as well as too TWANGY....am I right.?

Sounds like the Jazzmaster would brighten my tone up just enough. Now, the Jazmaster with the 2 Humbuckers,...wouldn't that just sound like a Les Paul or any other guitar with Humbuckers for that matter??

Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

nightclub dwight

Post by nightclub dwight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:19 am

I've had my MIJ Jaguar for 13 years now. I love that guitar. It does sound a little thin, but you can make adjustments in your EQs. I think it reacts incredibly well with distortions. I love it. Those switches like to break though.

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:15 am

My Jag is very fat sounding. The rhythm circuit is very full and growly.

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deVonder</i>
<br />Ok, so far seems as though the Jazzmaster is the route to go. Keep in mind that I've played Gibson my whole life and if wasn't Gibson, it still had Humbuckers....this being said, although I am after a brighter, twangy sound, it sounds like the Jag may be a little too THIN sounding as well as too TWANGY....am I right.?

Sounds like the Jazzmaster would brighten my tone up just enough. Now, the Jazmaster with the 2 Humbuckers,...wouldn't that just sound like a Les Paul or any other guitar with Humbuckers for that matter??

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

NO way dude once you engage the coil taps u have single coil sounds at flick of a switch I played the guitar in your pic at a rehersal in the riot girl band I play in and used it for the whole rehersal and it screamed. I played the Distillers Drain the Blood thru to Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams and this guitar blew me away.I coulda played it all night but I had to give it back to my friend,it has been on my gas list ever since. As to your other question will it sound like a Les Paul no way dude different beast altogether due to bolt on neck,body timber etc and lots of other variables this is the reason that Fender make this model because so many vintage Jags went under the knife to get the Humbucker treatment just ask Sonic Youth.The best way I could describe the tone I got that night was a nice cutting edge without excessive brightness and some extra meat that would have been lacking had it only had single coils.If you need more info on this don't hesitate to ask me more but all I can say is that if you are a Paul player you might have to make a few minor adjustments to fall in love with this guitar but not many I would imagine.

cheers zoom

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Ok....I had no idea this Jag, the one in the picture had coil taps. I didn't read that in any of the descriptions. but in that case, sound like a good match. Mind you though, through this GASEOUS journey I've taken into the realm of Jag's and JM's, I've taken a liking to the vintage look and feel of the 62 reissues....

Decisions...

PS- I'm funding the new adventure byu selling my Gibson SG Voodoo...
Not super happy about that, but need to pay the GAS bill somehow....
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

Tafarel
Orange Expert

Post by Tafarel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Another thing that nobody has mentioned yet (unless I didn't read one of the posts correctly) is that no matter which you get, the body style is one of the most comfortable you'll encounter.
-Tafa

Guitars: EJ Stratocaster, '60 Stratocaster, '63 Tele Custom Relic Ltd, '62 AVRI Jazzmaster, '57 CS Les Paul Goldtop, '76 LP Special, HFender Precision Bass

Amps: Marshall Super 100JH, Marshall 1987x w/1960TV cab, Fender Super Reverb, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall 1962x

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:54 pm

I bought a Jaguar myself- it was no contest, hands-down. I prefer a longer scale, but I was looking for the sound of the Jag. I played a whole bunch- USA and MIJ and I thought the MIJ Jaguar was better made. I wanted a custom color and the USA ones don't have matching headstocks which is just wrong. I swapped out the pickups for some hot vintage Duncans and then took them out to pot them since they were unpotted. PITA. Also put a pearl guard on it as well as a Buzzstop and Mustang saddles- which is what you'll need to do too if you get a Jazzmaster. I got a burgundy mist one and it is one sweet guitar!

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 pm

finally. The Jag is the way.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 pm

I can agree that the Jaguar looks a bit cooler, but I really like my Jazzmaster, it's a gorgeous blue and I like the proper toggle switch on the Jazzmaster so it's easier to change pickups mid-song instead of those tiny sliders, not to mention it's snappier. If you're looking for a true Fender the longer scale is really required for that twangy sound. My Jazzmaster is a CIJ and I quite like it, but you have to either swap out the bridge or file the grooves deeper and use locking glue. On mine, the neck pickup is nice and round with a lot of girth and the bridge is pretty bright, but with my Orange it kind of evens out the brightness because it's such a dark amp. The middle position is really the best though, really gets this great balanced sound.

Let us know what you decide!
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:17 am

IMHO the Jazzmaster looks and sounds better than the Jag...
Get the JM...you will never look back!

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:50 pm

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is all I have to say. I can't freaking decide! What the hell.

Jag vs Jazz......I hate making decisions like this....

I want the twang, but not too thin sounding.

Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic