Jazzmaster vs. Jaguar....Let me know!!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Ok....so once again my GAS has kicked in and I am now at a crossroads between buying a new Fender Jaguar OR a Fender Jazzmaster....

I have tried out the Jazzmaster Reissue, and loved it. Sounds amazing and it has the "Twang" of a Tele, but the warm tone of a Paul....

The Jaguar IMO looks a lot cooler though, but seeing as how I haven't tried on and can't (unless I commit to a $200 downpayment), I don't want to base my decsion on looks.

Can anyone here help me and let me know:

1. What's the main difference between the two?
2. Which do you recommend?

All I know is the Jaguar is smaller in scale, and has single coils, where as the Jazzmaster has P-90's.

HELP!

<font size="6">VS.</font id="size6">

Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

chrizownsyou
Tiny Terror

Post by chrizownsyou » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 pm

That Jaguar certainly does look nice

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 pm

i had a japanese jaguarandsounded good but it's a particular guitar
Music is the best lover...

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

MARTIN DC 16E PREMIUM PLUS

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:57 pm

i hated my jazzmaster until i added a buzzstop. now it's most glorious

Tafarel
Orange Expert

Post by Tafarel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I've had a couple of both and I can now say (after spending thousands of $s on scientific research) that I like the JM better than the Jag - YMMV. For what I play, the JM has more varied and useful tones than the Jag.

Oh, and the Whizzo Buzzstop is an absolute must on either guitar, IMO. What a terrible bridge design.
-Tafa

Guitars: EJ Stratocaster, '60 Stratocaster, '63 Tele Custom Relic Ltd, '62 AVRI Jazzmaster, '57 CS Les Paul Goldtop, '76 LP Special, HFender Precision Bass

Amps: Marshall Super 100JH, Marshall 1987x w/1960TV cab, Fender Super Reverb, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall 1962x

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I've always like Jazzmasters better.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

notagain

Post by notagain » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 pm

IMHO I always preferred the Jazzmasters over the Jags...but
that was 30+ years ago. I always hated the jag pickups but
felt the Jazzmasters were fine...In the early - mid 70's
you couldn't give either one away. Funny how time changes
so many things.

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:03 am

Jazzmaster, no contest
John

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:20 am

I was actually just contemplating the same thing a few days ago and was set on the jazz master, but I changed my mind and am now going to get a surf green 58 strat. Love that surf green color.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:28 am

i haven't played a jaguar, but i love my jazzmaster. i bought a japanese jazzmaster and replaced the pickups with a pair from Curtis Novak, what an upgrade. the guitar has a lot more balls and a higher output and overall better rock sound. don't know many specifics about the American version though.

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 am

I haven't had much of a play on either, but I prefer the look of a Jazzmaster. I almost bought one, but went for a Ric 360 :D

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaws Theme Swimming</i>
<br />i haven't played a jaguar, but i love my jazzmaster. i bought a japanese jazzmaster and replaced the pickups with a pair from Curtis Novak, what an upgrade. the guitar has a lot more balls and a higher output and overall better rock sound. don't know many specifics about the American version though.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Which novaks did you get? I've been thinking about upgrading the bridge pickup in my jazzmaster and have heard a lot of good things about curtis novak pickups.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 am

jazzmasters are the coolest guitars ever:D
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 am

Hi devonder I personally prefer Jazzmasters, I have had a friends Vintage 62 re-issue Jaguar in my studio for over 2 years and have only used it once or twice.Whilst its a great playing guitar it's just a little too thin sounding and brittle for my tastes.But hey what can I say each to their own Kurt Cobain loved a Jags slicing sound as do Sonic Youth.

Also just wanted to let you know that the pickups in a Jazzmaster are not P-90's they are a Fenders own single coil design that they came up with for the Jazzmaster,while they may look like a P-90, that is were any similarity ends.The real skinny is that the main difference in sound is that Jags tend to sound on the thin side whilst Jazzmasters are fatter more well rounded and a hell of a lot smoother sounding.I used to own an early Japanese Squire Jagmaster that I dropped Jazzmaster pickups in, this thing screamed it was great for clean sounds and handled moderate distortion as well.

You may also wanna look at the Japanese made Fender Jag with twin humbuckers(with coil taps) and a stop tailpiece.The same friend whose Vintage Jag I have, has one of these, and to be honest I didn't wanna give it back to him way more versatile in this format.Don't be put off by the made in japan tag this guitar was killer quality all they way.

The only downside is you would probably have to shell out for a hardcase,checkout Music 123 or Musicians Friend for more info on the 2 humbucker Jag.Anyway I hope this helps you to make a more informed choice but whatever you choose good luck.

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by billynightingale</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaws Theme Swimming</i>
<br />i haven't played a jaguar, but i love my jazzmaster. i bought a japanese jazzmaster and replaced the pickups with a pair from Curtis Novak, what an upgrade. the guitar has a lot more balls and a higher output and overall better rock sound. don't know many specifics about the American version though.

Which novaks did you get? I've been thinking about upgrading the bridge pickup in my jazzmaster and have heard a lot of good things about curtis novak pickups.

i got the jm90 for the bridge and the vintage jm pickup he makes for the neck. like i said, the bridge pickup was an incredible upgrade. what have you got in there right now? and i assume it's an american made JM?