Interesting observation (about GAS)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 pm

So GAS has left me not owning an amp at all (I sold my stuff to buy an amp that turned out not to be a good match for me).
So I have spent the last two weeks shopping for another. I have found that when I walk into a shop, cash in hand, I am actually more careful and rational about what I want.
This is not what I have previously experienced when try something, fall in love, then need to go home and sell my other gear to finance it - it is as if the gear aquisition process is cut too short and forces me into a different frame of mind.
I have tried several Marshall's (including the Vintage Modern), tried a nice Hiwatt custom and a series of other amps. I have found many that sound great but when I look at the whole picture it is not entirely the proper fit.
So I think it is kind of funny that when I look over this process, and review all the amps I have tried it is still the Orange that comes out on top.
After having owned a Rocker 30, then an AD30R it seems I will now buy the RV50H + cab. Nothing else will beat it in versatility, tone and overall usefulness.
Lars

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Lars,

Will you - in getting a RV - fall prey again to what you suggested? That you will have an amp which doesn't match you? If you liked the AD30 or the R30, why not simply go back and get one?

I think it was LeonC who said he was fed up with the whole "boutique-amp-du-jour" merry-go-round, and has just stuck with what works for him. I have to say I agree. My AD30 works brilliantly for what I need it to work for, and my Matamp 1224 fills in a few gaps that I needed it to fill in.

I have pedals for anything else.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have a wife to restrain my spending habits these days, but it's a good idea to just stick with what works and learn how to play with that!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:13 pm

Hi Joe

Well, that is actually kind of what I was thinking...
The AD30 has that one great awesome sound but the R30 was more versatile and useful (but I did not like the single element in the combo) so my thinking is that the RV50 (though different) is a build on the R30 without getting the same amp, and with a better clean channel, reverb and fx loop.
Your conclusion is more or less the same as mine.
Lars

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Congrats, you won't be ampless anymore!
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:43 pm

RV50 seems like a great idea...welcome back to Oranges.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:03 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />Hi Joe

Well, that is actually kind of what I was thinking...
The AD30 has that one great awesome sound but the R30 was more versatile and useful (but I did not like the single element in the combo) so my thinking is that the RV50 (though different) is a build on the R30 without getting the same amp, and with a better clean channel, reverb and fx loop.
Your conclusion is more or less the same as mine. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hmm, I find that the RV50 is a bit of a different beast to the R30 and AD30.

It depends what you play. I think the RV50 does higher gain better than an AD30, but its mid-gain sounds were just not as good. The R30 sat somewhere inbetween the two. The high gain sounds were better than the AD30, and the midgain better than the RV50, but still not up to the scratch of an AD series. There was that little shelf in the R30 where the extra gain stage kicked in that I didn't like.

Clean sounds, I think the RV50 had decent clean cleans - but I never used anything as clean as that, so it was lost on me. It's always clean with an edge. The R30 natural channel I wasn't a fan of as it was a one-trick pony without the EQ. The AD I could set up and EQ for whatever cleanish sounds I wanted.

It's a shame I never recorded a gospel choir gig I did with it and a Musicman Silhouette Special as it gave out some fantastic clean sounds - just effortlessly sweet.

Anyway, my ramblings should cease a bit, and i'll get to the point. Unless you particularly want the higher gain an RV50 can deliver (at the expense of the better midgain sounds), I think you'd be better off sticking with an AD30 or R30.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:21 pm

And if you want higher gain, there are some good pedals out there...
Joe

G(sus) saves

vintage30
Orange Expert

Post by vintage30 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:00 am

R 30 combo or R 50 H
You cannot go wrong
ImageImage

vintage30
Orange Expert

Post by vintage30 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:01 am

R 30 combo is one of my all time fav amps
ImageImage

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:01 am

Vintage 30... just something that i've spotted recently. Are you trying to rack up the posts, fella?!? You seem to hit "submit reply" instead of the return key. I'm not sure i've seen any of your posts more than 2 lines in length...
Joe

G(sus) saves

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:58 pm

I've notice that too, its clever...but a little annoying.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 pm

RV50 is a great choice.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;