Early impressions of the 2061X - Part 2

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />So it will be going back to the shop.
Yes, the sounds are great but I have had the worst ear ache this week and I am pretty sure it is the amp.
I have even done some bandrehersals without earplugs when I had the AD and it never really bothered me. Now I am having pain from playing around alone (and I really do not think that should require earplugs) and just playing at a volume where the amp gets some character, well before the overdrive really kicks in and it is definitely a discomfort.

There may be ways to address this but seriously, if I can return the amp - no questions asked - I definitely should do that considering this is how I feel after having been the owner for 5 days.
It is like going on a first and second date with a woman (man), you know she is cool and she looks good but there is something that isn't right. Well, it is better to get out before feelings get hurt instead of ignoring the things that are botering you, hoping they will go away, only to find yourself in a real mess later.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />

I'm starting a part 2 thread on this because I find it very interesting.

You guys are all familiar to these threads that still keeps on poping up every now and then about people who think their new Orange amp is quiet, right?

I might be the one who is most interested in this it seems, but I'll hope you'll read on..

If I would take my band and play, say, some slowish blues or something really soft or easy music, we wouldn't play as loud as we usually do, right. My point is that I think the volume in a rehearsal room depends alot on what kind of music you play, and that is why Lars can find his 2061X too loud. Just that he use to rehearse without earplugs!? [:0]

I mean, I play uptempo rock and roll. I need lots of volume not to drown behind a wall of drums, and just thinking about rehearsing without earplugs in our rehearsal room is plain suicide I tell you.
And it's not like we could turn down he volume and hit the drums softer (like a music teacher suggested once). It would be like Indiana 500 with a speedlimit!

This must be at least one of the reasons why one guy thinks an Orange amp is loud as hell when the next guy thinks it's quiet like a mouse.

I can barely rehearse with the 2061X cranked. I still consider it a damn loud amp for it's 20W, but when rocking out to a hard hitting drummer it just isn't enough volume.

Even though I'm expressing myself quite poor, do you see what I'm trying to say? Anyone agree? Please share your experiences and theories..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:22 pm

what I found to be true on these little 12 & 18 watt amps..they do bark loud, but its a different kind of sound..Thin brittle, so it sounds real loud alone, as soon as a drummer starts hitting cymbals or a loud snare..goodbye..
I think 50 watts of good power is broad in its bandwidth and will stand up to a drummers mite...
my old little 15 watt matchless sounded loud as heck with out the band playing..as soon as they kicked in..goodbye.
went back to my Mojave 45 plexi and I could drown them out if I wanted...

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:28 pm

The drummer controls the dynamics... and volume. The AD30 has no trouble keeping up with our drummer knocking the snot out of a Ludwig kit...

I probably should use ear plugs...
Mark

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by corky newman</i>
<br />what I found to be true on these little 12 & 18 watt amps..they do bark loud, but its a different kind of sound..Thin brittle, so it sounds real loud alone, as soon as a drummer starts hitting cymbals or a loud snare..goodbye..
I think 50 watts of good power is broad in its bandwidth and will stand up to a drummers mite...
my old little 15 watt matchless sounded loud as heck with out the band playing..as soon as they kicked in..goodbye.
went back to my Mojave 45 plexi and I could drown them out if I wanted...
<br />
Nah, personally I don't agree. My 18w Marshall drown as much as any other amp when my drummer starts bashing.
Let's not get hung up on the Marshall amp, but to figure out why people percieve "loud" so different from one another.

And while I'm at it, many people that consider an Orange to be quiet, often or almost always compare them to other brand amps. But can anyone step farward and say they think their Orange is loud and has compared it thoughroughly to other amps?
David

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:36 am

I am with Corky in that I actually feel it is the KIND of sound (although great) that is a large part of the problem rather than just the volume itself.
If you are going to get hit in the head by a baseball bat, the wood in the bat will make a difference (not the best of analogies, but nevertheless..).
Lars

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you are going to get hit in the head by a baseball bat, the wood in the bat will make a difference<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Yeah, but if my grandma would hit you in the head with a baseball bat it probably would hurt as much as if Jose Canseco hit you.
David

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Well, my assumption was that it was Jose in either cases.
Lars

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />Well, my assumption was that it was Jose in either cases.
<br />
I know you did, but it doesn't make sense, since no drummer (or any other instrument) would play forte fortissimo (<i>fff</i>) when playing pop music or a blues etc.
David

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

I have never played a 2061x. So, would it be no good playing it in my garage with a good overdrive pedal? Or do you have to have this amp cranked?
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 am

David,

I think the point is different people hear different things when a band plays. Some people will want to hear their guitar right up above everything else, but in the mix, that's not really where it's meant to sit for most applications. So is the volume level wrong if they can't hear it? No. Not necessarily... they just need a better monitor.

Equally if they're facing the wrong way, or are standing next to the drummer, they might not hear it so well.

Put a mic in front of any amp, and you should be having no problems. A healthy 20 watt valve amp should give you plenty of volume for gigging with if you have a mic and PA.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am

Oh sorry, if you guys didn't understand I wasn't speaking of live gigging now, then ANY amp is loud. Hell I could gig my ½watt Nano head without any problems.

Sorry for being rude but why does it always feels like people are trying their best to misunderstand me, f*ck!
David