Early impressions of the 2061X - need help/advice

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by corky newman</i>
<br />This is what it cost me to find out I dont like EL84 power tubes..

Matchless 15 combo
another matchless 15 combo
a fatboy
a cornford hell cat

Total cost $7,550.00

and the only thing I dont like about the EL84's is Headroom, mostly on the bass strings...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Interesting, but what do you mean?
I guess you got less headroom than you desired?

<i>PS: Astroman, I replied ealier just above this post..</i>
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Its like this...To me anyway..

when you pinch a harmonic on the bass string on my EL84 amps it buzz's but on a EL34 amp it growls and pings..I think its the extra wattage or size of the bottle that does it..???
what ever it is I am never going back to EL84's again...I love the crunch & cleans..but the leads leave me wanting more...
and most of this is the way I play..I mean I hit lots of pinch harmonics in my style of playing lead guitar..

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 pm

What kind of Fatboy did you have? The Carlsboro? The el84 amps are nice, but they have too much Roar for Pinch Harmonics. They do good Harmonics with Country Runs..Fast pull-offs in succession.

But, no Pinch and Wiggles.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:13 am

I like EL 34's,6L6's and the KT66.Yes indeed the EL 34's have balls.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Mondayeyes
Orange Expert

Post by Mondayeyes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
As soon as someone is with me I feel more comfortable to crank an amp, for some strange reason.
Or when playing an amp at home it sounds so incredibly loud but as soon as I play the amp in an environment where volume are supposed or expected to be loud (i.e. the rehearsal place) my ears instantly get baised to accept louder volume. Not to mention when the drummer start bashing them drums.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Definately know what you mean.

I love EL34s. They just encompass everything I love in tones.
-andy

Bad Cat Hot Cat 2x12
US Telecaster
72' Telecaster Deluxe
Epiphone Sheraton II
Various Pedals used in moderation
----------------

Band
www.myspace.com/hushhushcommotion

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:05 am

EL84's or not.....It is 05.00 in the morning and I am beginning to miss my AD30
Lars

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 pm

I had the carlsboro fatbay amp from England..I still have it, great studio amp..

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm

So it will be going back to the shop.
Yes, the sounds are great but I have had the worst ear ache this week and I am pretty sure it is the amp.
I have even done some bandrehersals without earplugs when I had the AD and it never really bothered me. Now I am having pain from playing around alone (and I really do not think that should require earplugs) and just playing at a volume where the amp gets some character, well before the overdrive really kicks in and it is definitely a discomfort.

There may be ways to address this but seriously, if I can return the amp - no questions asked - I definitely should do that considering this is how I feel after having been the owner for 5 days.
It is like going on a first and second date with a woman (man), you know she is cool and she looks good but there is something that isn't right. Well, it is better to get out before feelings get hurt instead of ignoring the things that are botering you, hoping they will go away, only to find yourself in a real mess later.
Lars