Early impressions of the 2061X - need help/advice

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 pm

So I have had a little time with my new toy and while I am not ready to submit a final verdict, I do have some comments and thoughts.

The reason I went for this particular amp:
-Vintage rock/blues sound. Some people like smooth overdrive - I like my overdrive RAW if that makes sense (i.e. I am not into tube screamers). I like it well overdriven but far from metal.
-Lower wattage but with "bottom", I want big sound but without crushing volume (or..I want to be able to push the valve's in a non-stadium environment)
-Compact size - Compare to the AD30R it is a walk in the park (even if is i two pieces). My band is currently on hold so it is primarily for home use but must be able to pack and travel reasonable easy once we get going again.
-The MOJO of having a real PTP amp made in england.

So, the sound:
Well my first thought is that it was suddenly fun to start playing all the Hendrix tunes again. It goes into that kick-you-in-the-ass territory real nice, and yes it provides that raw sound. HOWEVER, here is where I need some input from you....I do feel that it is a little too "snappy" all over the low E-String. I do not experience this as a problem on the remaining 5 strings but on the E it snaps on the verge of overbearing and I am starting to worry that I will get annoyed by this. I did not really pick up on this while trying it several times in the store and it is basically the same with all my guitars.
I assume this is the result of the solid state rectifier. Maybe there is something I can do to lessen this?
Those of you who own this amp, what are your thoughts?
I must admit that I am having some second thoughts about it because of this. I can return it within a week for a full refund so I need to make up my mind by Saturday.

Any advice is appreciated
Lars

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:08 pm

I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't noticed something like that with my amp.
If people can't help you here on the forum I suggest you give a good tech a call and if you don't know anyone, drop me a mail and I can give you a couple of numbers..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Are you jumping the channels? That is where I find this amp excels, but I really liked it the best with a tube screamer too. I cranked the treble channel and dial the bass channel to taste. I love those amps, they are just too loud for me.

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 pm

Allright, I just spent another hour out in the "studio" and double checked every angle and......I found the culprit.
But, because I would like to try to save any remaining integrity I will not reveal it. We'll just leave it at: "Lars, you're an idiot"
So now the amp does sound fantastic in every way. I will need to spend more time with it before I can muster up all the required adjectives with some credibility.

(You know, I could just edit my initial post....but I won't as it makes for poor sportsmanship)
Lars

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:03 pm

How embarrassing is it?

Is it something like you strung up the guitar leaving the string off the saddle? :D
David

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 pm

This isn't the forum where you'll get HAMMERed for being human....these cats are pretty open and forgiving....

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:32 pm

Man that amp sounds like one I would love.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pages plexitone</i>
<br />This isn't the forum where you'll get HAMMERed for being human....these cats are pretty open and forgiving....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yes, but only if you tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Otherwise we'll get evil! :twisted:

Seriously though, was it something we can learn from Lars?

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />Man that amp sounds like one I would love.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
That strat is beautiful......:D

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

fuzz
Orange Expert

Post by fuzz » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 pm

I tried one of these while I was in Orlando last week with a 61' Reissue SG!
It sounded pretty awesome even though I was a tad bit disappointed with the SG, it was pretty expensive too. I also tried a jcm 800 reissue for the first time (first time messing with marshall's really) and the treble made my ears bleed. It must have been the cab being right next to my face but usually I don't get that effect.
'86 Gibson SG-62
'83 Jap Squire 70s Strat ala Hendrix
Orange AD30R, DD20, Modded Fuzz Face, Jimi wah, Boss PS-3, RP80

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />How embarrassing is it?

Is it something like you strung up the guitar leaving the string off the saddle? :D
It was "something like that":mrgreen:

I must say that I am still having doubts about it. Although the sound is fantastic, I am thinking that I reasonable need something with a Master Volume - it is ok to call me a wimp, but age has tought me to be a little less macho and at least pay attention when my ears begin to hurt (and I have not even put it in a band situation).
Lars

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />How embarrassing is it?

It was "something like that":mrgreen:

I must say that I am still having doubts about it. Although the sound is fantastic, I am thinking that I reasonable need something with a Master Volume - it is ok to call me a wimp, but age has tought me to be a little less macho and at least pay attention when my ears begin to hurt (and I have not even put it in a band situation).
<br />
Try to stick a good overdrive in front of it. It loves pedals as much as Orange amps hates 'em..
David

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Yeah, I have used my OKKO Twin Sonic (which is absolutely awsome) and it clearly works best with the boost part of that pedal.
Even so the 2061X need to be cooking quite a bit in order to make the sonic mesh work.
Lars

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 pm

This is what it cost me to find out I dont like EL84 power tubes..

Matchless 15 combo
another matchless 15 combo
a fatboy
a cornford hell cat

Total cost $7,550.00

and the only thing I dont like about the EL84's is Headroom, mostly on the bass strings...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh, and by the way.
We often perceive volume to be louder when playing alone.

As soon as someone is with me I feel more comfortable to crank an amp, for some strange reason.
Or when playing an amp at home it sounds so incredibly loud but as soon as I play the amp in an environment where volume are supposed or expected to be loud (i.e. the rehearsal place) my ears instantly get baised to accept louder volume. Not to mention when the drummer start bashing them drums.

I plugged in my ½ a watt Nano head into my 412 cab and cranked it in my living room, and I don't exaggerate when I say I played for less than a minute before my neighbor started knocking from the other side of my ceiling. I then tried in a rehearsal situation and it got totally drenched by the drums, it sounded so tiny..
David