Tiny Terror Problem????

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:25 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
Thanks Nick...
I'm in Phoenix, Az.
I really don't think it's a cold solder
joint. I really think it's the pot itself.
And anyway, wouldn't that void the warranty???
~Mark
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Reheating solders? I wouldn't think so, but either way, it would've been between you and me (this post would've self destructed after you read it). ;)

If it's not the solders, it's just cheap pots and I don't think getting another one would help out. Even still, you can replace the pots with something better if that's the case.

I was never one for amp warantees anyways. Any newer production amps I buy I automatically pop open and reheat stressable solders and clean the wiring up with cable ties. The only new(er) amp I own that's untouched is an Aguilar, which got done right the first time in the shop. ;) If you know how to solder well, 9 times out ot 10 you can make the amp more relaible than it was coming off the production line these days.

-Nick

Well then, I will keep you in mind...I obviously
can't just "drive" over...but if I run into any
snags with Orange maybe you will let me ship it to you?
thanks,
mark

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
Thanks Nick...
I'm in Phoenix, Az.
I really don't think it's a cold solder
joint. I really think it's the pot itself.
And anyway, wouldn't that void the warranty???
~Mark
Reheating solders? I wouldn't think so, but either way, it would've been between you and me (this post would've self destructed after you read it). ;)

If it's not the solders, it's just cheap pots and I don't think getting another one would help out. Even still, you can replace the pots with something better if that's the case.

I was never one for amp warantees anyways. Any newer production amps I buy I automatically pop open and reheat stressable solders and clean the wiring up with cable ties. The only new(er) amp I own that's untouched is an Aguilar, which got done right the first time in the shop. ;) If you know how to solder well, 9 times out ot 10 you can make the amp more relaible than it was coming off the production line these days.

-Nick

Well then, I will keep you in mind...I obviously
can't just "drive" over...but if I run into any
snags with Orange maybe you will let me email you for the Red Sox Score last night?
thanks,
mark
No problem. Just drop me a line if you need any assistance. If you look into local techs and stuff and things don't pan out, i'd be happy to stencil your initials on the front of it for you.

My previous posts and your quotes have been edited. ;)

-Nick
fiveightandten (at) gmail d0t c0m
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 am

LOL!
I have heard good things on this forum about you!
Ya think they were right?????

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />LOL!
I have heard good things on this forum about you!
Ya think they were right?????
Nah, definitely not. ;)

Ya know...a while ago, before I knew a lot about amps, my main gigging head (which I still have) was a '64 Vox AC-50 (great amp!). One horrible night, my other guitar player accidentially knocked the thing off the 4x12 cab and onto a concrete floor. It didn't take the fall well...sparks were shooting out of the amp the next time I turned it on. In addition, the pre-amp chassis got bent from the fall. The only way to fix the bent chassis was to remove the pre-amp board completely, bend the chassis back, and wire the amp back up again. WAY over my head at the time. Every shop around wanted at around $600 for the job. I couldn't afford that, and my guitar player didn't seem to think he was responsible for paying it. I was out of luck, and without my favorite amp.

Anyways, I told the story on am amp board, asking for advice. A tech halfway across the country offered to do the work for $100 (not exactly a small job!). We need more people like that around these days. I now know enough to have done the job myself, but at the time, i'm not sure what I would've done without him being so kind. I still owe the amp world a few favors, so 20 minutes of my time isn't such a big deal ;)

-N
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:12 am

guys....you need to let the retailer and orange have a crack at rectifying the problem first. if it is a problem of faulty parts or poor design, shouldn't orange be informed so that they can specify better parts or redesign the amp altogether? if everyone starts fixing each other's broken new amps, orange will never know of the problem. play by the book, fellas.

p.s. UCLA 13 - USC 9 :)

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:18 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>
<br />guys....you need to let the retailer and orange have a crack at rectifying the problem first. if it is a problem of faulty parts or poor design, shouldn't orange be informed so that they can specify better parts or redesign the amp altogether? if everyone starts fixing each other's broken new amps, orange will never know of the problem. play by the book, fellas.

Oh, I plan to play totally by the book on this one.

Yep...UCLA Rawks!
USC has been overrated all season!

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>
<br />guys....you need to let the retailer and orange have a crack at rectifying the problem first. if it is a problem of faulty parts or poor design, shouldn't orange be informed so that they can specify better parts or redesign the amp altogether? if everyone starts fixing each other's broken new amps, orange will never know of the problem. play by the book, fellas.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Huh, we're just talking about sending the little guy over for some pizza and beer ;)

Seriously though, any services I offer up are only as a last resort.

-Nick

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Huh, we're just talking about sending the little guy over for some pizza and beer ;)

Seriously though, any services I offer up are only as a last resort.

-Nick

Yep, my Tiny Terror is dying to meet Nick's OR-120.
They have been corresponding via email for a few days
now and I think my TT wants to have Nick's OR-120's baby...

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:52 am

now you're scarin' me

notagain

Post by notagain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Since Humbucker is out of them I am dealing with Orange.
Just got off the phone with them and will be returning
it to them for repair/replacement...thankfully I have
numerous other amps to play through...

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Mine got delivered last night. Went fine for about half an hour, and then just started popping and crackling, nothing I could do to change it.
I'm new to amps really - been playing for just two years! - and don't really have a clue.

Should I just do the same thing as notagain and call up Orange and send it back for refund/return?

Oh, and i'm in the UK.

Cheers

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:37 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomm</i>
<br />Mine got delivered last night. Went fine for about half an hour, and then just started popping and crackling, nothing I could do to change it.
I'm new to amps really - been playing for just two years! - and don't really have a clue.

<b>Should I just do the same thing as notagain and call up Orange and send it back for refund/return?</b>

Oh, and i'm in the UK.

Cheers
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">To be honest I'd say yes, just give Orange a call. Sorry to hear about the problems...

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Ade Emsley
Forum Admin

Post by Ade Emsley » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:55 am

The Tiny Terrors are fitted with JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes straight from the factory in Korea.
We are going to be using Chinese 12AX7`s for future Chinese Tiny Terror production as they are less noisy than some of the JJ`s.

The JJ EL84`s on the other hand are a pretty good, reliable tube with a really fat sounding bottom end!
Another really good EL84 at the moment is the Electro Harmonix!
To my ears, they do sound the best in a Tiny Terror if you want a little more bite in the upper mids.

Sometimes the JJ 12AX7`s can have some DC voltage on the grids which will cause the gain pot to appear noisy when turned.

This will not actually do the amp any harm as it is a very small amount of DC voltage.
This problem is most likely nothing to do with the pots so dont go trying to remove them only to find that nothing has changed!

Swapping the JJ preamp tubes for Chinese 12AX7`s will totally cure the problem and will probably make the TT sound even better.

Another Tiny Terror service tip is to have a technician tension all of the crimp connectors so that they are a really tight fit if they are not already.

Other than the above, there is very little to go wrong in a Tiny Terror as they are a very well made piece of kit!

Best regards
Adrian Emsley
Technical Director
Orange amps

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomm</i>
<br />Mine got delivered last night. Went fine for about half an hour, and then just started popping and crackling, nothing I could do to change it.

Should I just do the same thing as notagain and call up Orange and send it back for refund/return?

Oh, and i'm in the UK.

Cheers
The popping and crackling sounds like a duff pre amp tube. Try swapping it out (likey V1) with another.

The Chinese are getting pretty damn close with their tubes. Its good to see. Their EL34 is already well respected among the cork sniffers as well as their KT 66. They just need to crack the perfect ecc83 and el84 and they will rule supreme.

Hey Ade, is the Tiny Terror one of your designs BTW?

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
<br />The Tiny Terrors are fitted with JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes straight from the factory in Korea.
We are going to be using Chinese 12AX7`s for future Chinese Tiny Terror production as they are less noisy than some of the JJ`s.

The JJ EL84`s on the other hand are a pretty good, reliable tube with a really fat sounding bottom end!
Another really good EL84 at the moment is the Electro Harmonix!
To my ears, they do sound the best in a Tiny Terror if you want a little more bite in the upper mids.

<b>Sometimes the JJ 12AX7`s can have some DC voltage on the grids which will cause the gain pot to appear noisy when turned.</b>

This will not actually do the amp any harm as it is a very small amount of DC voltage.
This problem is most likely nothing to do with the pots so dont go trying to remove them only to find that nothing has changed!

Swapping the JJ preamp tubes for Chinese 12AX7`s will totally cure the problem and will probably make the TT sound even better.

Another Tiny Terror service tip is to have a technician tension all of the crimp connectors so that they are a really tight fit if they are not already.

Other than the above, there is very little to go wrong in a Tiny Terror as they are a very well made piece of kit!

Best regards
Adrian Emsley
Technical Director
Orange amps

Mine still pops and crackles with the gain right down, not moving at all.

Are there any other tubes I could swap the EL48's with that you'd recommend?

Very new to this, and thanks for your help, regards,

Tom