OT: Made the decision...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 am

...to quit smoking on Monday morning. It's the last great destructive addiction I have left to overcome. I'm going to be using the 'step down' method,because in being honest with myself...know that 'cold turkey' w'ont work for me. I have a tapering plan all mapped out,but know that it w'ont be easy,or painless!!! But I also realize that if I could get off booze,as badly hooked on it as I was...I can get off cigarettes. Experience,strength,and hope from any ex-smokers is whole-heartily welcomed!!! :)
Hugh

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 am

think of the amps and guitars you could be buying saving yearly on cigs.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am

Nice one!
Your health will thank you for it!
It sounds like you've got it set in your mind to give up which a great starting point for giving up anything.
Hope it goes well - Keep us posted.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:59 am

Good luck man. My mum quit smoking before christmas and has been without a cigarette for about 5 months now. She still uses the inhaltor substitute from time to time but it isnt hurting her like the fags were. She found it hard as she'd smoked nearly 40 years, so if she can do it, you can! Try to cut down, then when you can handle that go for whatever the doctor reccomends.

My bosses wife is trying the same thing. Though she's on 50 a day. Her idea of cutting down is getting down to 20 or 30 a day!

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:31 am

Good luck with it, it's the next demon I've got to face too...
John

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:50 am

Hey congrats man, I gave it up 12 years ago. I dont feel any better, but I can breathe better. Also, have you ever looked into hypnosis?
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:56 am

theres a drug you can get here in the uk (dont know about america?!) that surpreses the need/want to smoke thats what im going to try next(will power failed me im afraid) a freind who took this drug said after about five days of being on it he just didnt feel like smoking anymore, how cool is that!!!

cheers

dylan
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:21 am

I smoked for 8 years. I was smoking Camel Filters for about 4 of them and when i tried lights, I would just smoke more of them. I got sick of it once when I found that I didn't enjoy it anymore. You know, one day you find yourself outside, freezing your arse off just to get a few puffs because you felt bad? Smoking was just making me feel "normal" at that point and when i didn't have them, I felt like crap. It's literally a physical addiction.

I had had enough of that but also found it difficult to quit like everybody else. What finally worked (I really didn't even try cutting back or lights but like twice, I was young) was quitting cold turkey. I got a nasty cold and was coughing my head off and really couldn't or didn't want a cig for about two days. When I started to feel a little better, I realized that I hadn't had one or wanted one and so I decided then to simply not start.

It takes like a month to really get past it and another to forget about it and move on. The physical addiction takes about two weeks to overcome. That's the tough part and the one that no one seems to be able to manage. It gets easier each day as the nicotine craving goes down with both intensity and regularity. It actually makes you feel like crap. Some people get headaches, others stomach, some both. I had some sort of cramps or something like nerves after a fight or something. It was tough.

Then after those first two weeks, you are volnerable by force of habit but you don't hurt anymore. It's all mental then. I would feel my shirt pocket for a pack of cigs after dinner or after a few drinks when i most was likely to smoke. They weren't there. I'd reach into my jean pocket for my lighter... not there. Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't smoke! That goes on pretty steady for like two more weeks, so you are at a month past your last cig then.

It really just subsides for another month as you forget all the little dumb things like opening the ashtray in your car, etc and get on with it. Finding something to occupy yourself for those few minutes is critical. You need to laugh, get something positive going and move on to day two, three, etc. I would work out and jog. Basically reminding myself that i can do whatever it is that I want and that I don't want to smoke.

Just remember that you don't need it, that it will only make you feel better for a moment and then like crap again, and again, and again... it's not worth it. I can't imagine what it would be like now financially. It was like .50 - .65 a pack when i was smoking. Today it is more like $2.50! Tell yourself that you are going to do something that will make you feel better. Take your money each day and put it in a jar. Paste a picture of that amp or guitar, whatever you want on it. When you would shell out for cigs, laugh and stuff it in the jar. Go out for a run or a brisk walk and come back in knowing you really DO feel better now. At the end of the 60 days or 90 days (it's your jar), go get your reward. Whatever you do, don't look back. It's gone and it doesn't matter anymore.

I can smoke anytime that I want to now. I rarely smoke cigarettes any more, get this, because they taste like ****e! They make the breath of even beautiful women taste like it too! My God, what was I thinking? I will smoke a cigar whenever i want to as I like those (even though my wife hates them) and I have no fear of becoming addicted. I just stop buying them if i find myself replacing a box. I don't need them. I usually don't want them and I almost never think about them.

That brings up another point, you might want to ditch anything related to them such as advertising tidbits, ashtrays, whatever that you have around that reminds you of them, unless you are really tough and can laugh at those too. Whatever works for you. You need to remember that it's for you. It's your world and you don't need the marketing depts of cigarette makers to run it. If you feel smarter than they are or the average joe for quitting, good for you, you are. If you feel stronger than the average huffer for quitting, good for you, you are. I say it's a crutch and you don't need it. You're not a sheep.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Today it is more like $2.50!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

ha ha ha, in England its more like £5.00 a pack (thats nearly $10.00usd)

sometimes i hate my country!!!
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:34 am

cigs are gross, they smell, they make ya feel all oily and greasy, and they poison your body. good luck quittin man.. i get why people smoke though.. i have a couple 3 hour night classes and we get a 15 min break and im the only one outside being social and not smoking. it tries to pull ya in, stupid joe camel.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi Dylan,
I live in VA where Philip Morris is based. We are only about two hours from some of the richest tobacco soil and climate in the world. North Carolina is right on this border and RJ Reynolds is based there. We literally have developed the best cigarette tobacco in the world by modifying it. Camel cigs have some Turkish dark tobacco in them to give them a different flavor and that is of course where they used the camel as a logo to indicate the tobacco as being mixed with imported middle eastern types. Because we have such a huge number of farmers and industry here dedicated to growing and wrapping the stuff, we pay some of the lowest taxes in the world for them. I mean, if I really wanted to, I could grow a plant in a window pot and roll my own! Oddly, the US and even VA is slowly banning the use of tobacco everywhere in public spaces. You have to be 18 to smoke also. It is controlled like beer was about twenty years ago. The companies that produce it are really losing sales in the US as prices climb and places to smoke are being limited. Our sweet revenge on the Chinese for dumping their cheap crap here and hurting our labor markets (hey we're guilty there too but I digress)is that they are probably the largest new market for it. Once they get enough US dollars from making our darn TVs, they will be able to afford the best cigs on the face of the planet. Do yourself a favor and don't pay to ruin your health.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:34 pm

I have never been a smoker...but I do enjoy a good cigar on occasion. Drew Estates makes some mighty tasty stogeys! I usually feel like sh!t the next day, though.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€