Black Orange 4x12: need info...

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:59 pm

I have a friend who wants to sell me his old orange cabs. They are with black covering, 4 x 12, and look as far as I can tell identical to the ones on the right in this pic (except with black covering):

They have the open horns that screw onto the top as well, just like in the pic. I'm thinking that they are quite unusual to say the least. I need to positive ID them, but I have no pic. The serial number on one of them is:

No. LS1751, and it says 15 ohms on it. They have closed backs, so I dont know yet which speakers are in them.

Does anybody know what year they are, and what they might be worth? (ballpark figures will do)

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:29 pm

These are Vintage Orange PA speaker cabs. The only way to date them is by using the speaker date codes. They should be loaded with Celestion G12H-30 Greenbacks which by them selves are worth a small fortune, Or they might be loaded with Eminance speakers which are not as valueble. They have most likely been painted black but there are a few rare Black Tolex Orange amps and cabs. What is your friend asking? These big old Orange speaker cabs are hard to value as not too many people will pay a huge $$ for them. If they are loaded with the Celestion speakers its a very good thing as the speakers alone are worth about $200-$250 USD each speaker. I think someone here has a pair of these that they brought over from the UK. Good luck they should sound really good with guitar.

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:28 am

So did you ever end up buying the speakers? Where in Canada are you located?

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:29 am

Woo Hoo! Up to 500 posts!:D