Green Matamp - Volume reduction

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Disco Pete

Post by Disco Pete » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:23 pm

I have a Green GT120 which is too bloody loud. Anyone got any ideas of how to reduce the output? I have already fried a Marshall power brake. The guy who builds Orange amps in Denmark St reckons he could customize it to put a Master volume on it. I have also heard that you can remove the output valves to reduce the overall volume. I noticed some members of this forum who have posted pictures have two valves removed from the chassis - I was wondering if they were the afforementioned output valves?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:23 pm

Go for the master IMHO. You can pull two power tubes but in reality it will make an amp that's too loud into an amp that's...... still too loud. It's really amazing how little difference you hear in volume when you pull two tubes. Basically, you only get 1 db in volume reduction for halving the power. I had two Marshall Superleads that I had half-power-modded and it didn't change the volume at all...

I really like the way Orange did their master and I'm sure that Matamp would do an excellent master mod for you. It will really make the amp more versatile and keep you happy. Billy