Orange RK50TC

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:18 am

Hi....

Just bought my first Orange amp, but the seller couldnt tell me exactly when it is from.

It has the model or: 120 and serial nr. 1305.

Is it possible from that to tell how old this is?
I do know that it is from some where around '75 though.

Regards
Kristian

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:05 am

Hi to you too Incubus.

What is the RK50TC bit in the thread title - is that relevant?

From the number of your OR120 I'd guess that it is a 1990s reissue. (Good amps too BTW!) To tell for sure compare the front panel lettering etc to the pictures here:
http://www.orangeamps.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2371

Rough dating by serial number guide:
http://users.pandora.be/orangefg/dating_page.htm

Good info on Orange models over the years here:
http://www.orangefg.com/

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:31 am

Hi there and tanks for the help...

If I am to compare the pictures of the two amps it has a lot of resemblance of the one from '78. It is definitely NOT a 90's reissue... I know for sure that it is from the 70's..... And I can see this as well on the pictures of the F.A.C graphics and the tone knobs...

Concerning the RK50TC, I wrote that because thats what the seller told me was the name of the amp...

I admit that I don't know much about Orange amps apart from the fact that i love mine. It sounds so good!

Would just love to figure out the exact year this one was produced, and as I, at the moment, do not have a camera I can't take a picture of it so i guesed that the model or and the serial nr would help.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Incubus</i>
<br />Hi there and tanks for the help...

If I am to compare the pictures of the two amps it has a lot of resemblance of the one from '78. It is definitely NOT a 90's reissue... I know for sure that it is from the 70's..... And I can see this as well on the pictures of the F.A.C graphics and the tone knobs...

Concerning the RK50TC, I wrote that because thats what the seller told me was the name of the amp...

I admit that I don't know much about Orange amps apart from the fact that i love mine. It sounds so good!

Would just love to figure out the exact year this one was produced, and as I, at the moment, do not have a camera I can't take a picture of it so i guesed that the model or and the serial nr would help.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Well, there never was a RK50TC model, so I don't know where the seller got that. But no matter - you like the amps sounds and that's what counts!

Where is that serial number - on the chassis, or on a back panel plate? Often there are two different numbers and the numbers on the dating page I linked to are usually the chassis numbers I think. But there were many exceptions and it certainly isn't 100% reliable for dating Oranges I'm afraid.

If the lettering etc looks more like a '70s amp though then that is what it will be. :) The later ones often had a cardboard date tag inside the amp, actually fixed to the circuit board as on my '78 OR120M Overdrive:

If you go in there then be VERY careful - those big capacitors can store lethal voltages for a long time so <b>don't</b> touch anything inside!!!

If there isn't a date, and you can't find another serial number to fit the list on the dating page then you may never find out exactly which year it is I'm afraid. If you can supply pics at some point it may help a bit, but sadly it isn't always possible to accurately date Oranges.

Enjoy it anyway. These are fantastic old amps! :D

Andy.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 am

Yes it sounds fantastic.... Just bought it yesterday, but i'll check out what you've just said, and maybe I can get my hands on a camera so i can take a few pics to post....

But thanks a lot anyway. definitely helpful.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 am

You are most welcome Kristian!

If you do get pics sometime we'd love to see them. We're all total Orange junkies here... [:p]

Andy.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:19 pm

He he.... Yeah they are all beauties anyway.... Well now I'm in doubt as again as to when it is from.

This one has a stand-by button. Did the 70's models have that? Cause i donøt believe that they had.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:25 pm

And by button I meant switch off course

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 pm

I think none of the old, or 90's RI had stand bys? this could be a mod of some kind..

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Okay... well it just said something about it here: http://www.orangefg.com/

But I don't know. As you can se I'm quite new to this forum and to "the world of Orange" as well...

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 pm

where is the standby? is it on the front or back of the head?

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:28 pm

I own a combo and its kinda below the amp.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:33 pm

It will be a mod. But if done properly it may also be no bad thing at all. Especially if they used an existing hole eg where the slave output normally is.

Andy.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:38 pm

Okay.... You really seem to know your Orange :-). Well I guess I need to borrow a camera and take some pics of the animal....

Anyway it doesn't really matter how old it is cause it just sounds absolutely amazing, but I just find it fun to know the entire history of my amp... I'll figure something out.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:30 am

Well maybe Im a total idiot, but I can't paste my pictures of the amp into this document......

Finally got a camera so you can help me, but I simply have no idea as to how I'm gonna post the pics here....

Could send them to you in an e-mail if you'd like, and if you wan't to help me.

Kristian