Orange RK50TC

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:09 am

Think I've figured it out so here it goes. the camera I've used is pretty bad so some of the pics are not to good. But i hope you can help me anyway. Thanks in advance.
The new amp.

From the top

Inside of it

Here is the standby switch and next to it it says <i>model or 120</i> and <i>serial nr. 1305</i>

Still inside

I'm aware that the pictures are not very good but i hope you can help me date this amp and any info about the model or guidance to where i can find info is mostly welcome.

Thank you guys you've been very helpfull

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:05 pm

I want to say early 90's but I have to say I've NEVER seen a standby switch like that on the back. It does look "Orange" but it's weird...

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 pm

impedance selector says 90's to me, as does the screen printed union jack.

does anyone have another 90's combo we can compare with?

surely that standby is tucked away inside, so it's a bastard to get to, anyway?

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:15 pm

No its not so hard to get to it actually.... Though there is a chance you might burn yourself on the grill (is it called that) on the back..

Thanks for the info lads. really helpfull. Anything is mostly welcome as i don't know a lot about this amp. Just bought it because of the sound. It is INSANE!

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi again Incubus.

The OTR is definitely a 1990s amp. It was a slight development of the OR120 Overdrive with a few slight circuit changes. Ade Emsley (Orange designer). http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... hichpage=4 :<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">OTR is Orange overdrive with 18 minor changes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Also it is just possible (despite what I said earlier ;)) that Orange might have put in a standby from new. It definitely looks as if it was meant, and occasional variations (perhaps as working prototypes) were sometimes put out and do crop up once in a while. Perhaps you have found one of those. 8)

As you say you like the sounds, and that is what really counts! Glad I don't have to move that combo of yours though - it must weigh 'a fair wee bit'... ;)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:19 am

OTR's came from the factory with standby switches. They're late 90's production amps, and possibly into 2000 as well, though we'd have to ask Ade about that one to be sure.

-Nick

EDIT: BTW, both those amps say "OTR" on the front panel, regardless of the model being listed as "OR..." on the chassis. Note the high serial numbers as well. My 90's OR-80 is 808. The OR models seem to be below 1000, and the OTR's seem to be above 1000.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:24 am

Well thank you very much for all the answers... You've been really helpful.... I just love this amplifier. Have never in my life heard anything sound as good as this one.

And yes.... It is extremely heavy to move around, but I guess I'll just have to get used to that.

Do you know if there is some kind of online version of a users manual? Could be fun to have....

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Glad to help Kristian. Always learning something myself here too - I didn't know about the OTRs having a standby switch...

An official online manual is kind of unlikely I'm afraid. (Orange don't even have manuals for all their current amps.) However the amp is a fairly simple drive, and Nick has done a couple of great articles on the pretty unique controls of the older Orange amps here:

http://www.geocities.com/diytech_ct/orange.html

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:51 am

Hey Andy.... and thanks for the link... really helpful... Just trying to get as much info as possible about my amp.... And oh my god does this animal sound good.... I mean everytime I turn it on it just seem to sound even better than before and still I havent even figured it all out yet..... Can't wait for the day when I get the perfect tone with this one.....

The tone is just unique and the design is worth all the money alone..... Noone uses Orange i Denmark so they are quite rare here as only one musicshop in Denmark has one single Rockerverb stack. But that only makes it all better as I stand out.

Well thanks to all of your for your kind help.... Thats really nice of you. And I'll probably stick around here at the forum now that I am a part of the big Orange family.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Incubus</i>
<br />Hey Andy.... and thanks for the link... really helpful... Just trying to get as much info as possible about my amp.... And oh my god does this animal sound good.... I mean everytime I turn it on it just seem to sound even better than before and still I havent even figured it all out yet..... Can't wait for the day when I get the perfect tone with this one.....

The tone is just unique and the design is worth all the money alone..... Noone uses Orange i Denmark so they are quite rare here as only one musicshop in Denmark has one single Rockerverb stack. But that only makes it all better as I stand out.

Well thanks to all of your for your kind help.... Thats really nice of you. And I'll probably stick around here at the forum now that I am a part of the big Orange family.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Glad you're liking the amp.

If you have any more questions about it, just ask.

Also, I have a few more articles that I never quite finished enough to post on that little site. So if you're curious about anything in particular, chances are I have something written up on it already.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:55 am

We'll I'm just curious about anything... As I said I didnt actually know very much about it before I bought it. Simply bought it because of the unbelieveable sound.....

I just can't find anything as to what an amp like this should cost used.... Just trying to figure out if the price i paid was ok. Which I stronlgy believe it was.

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:08 pm

I've been watching Orange amps on ebay and other places for the last 4 years and I've never seen a combo OTR come up for sale. I have seen a few heads and the heads are worth about the same as an old OR120 maybe a few hundred less......$1000-$1200 USD...where a vintage OR120 would be worth $1100-$1500 USD. The combo's are a hard sell but would probably fetch about $100 more than a head. My guess is a fair price for a combo in your condition would be worth about $1200 USD.

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks a lot.... Aprox the same as i paid for mine.... so it seems to be okay!