Fake OBC115?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

lindtflossy

Fake OBC115?

Post by lindtflossy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Hello,

greetings, this is my first post, I hope this is the right subforum for this thread, as this is not really about a vintage cab (or is it? I don't know, and that's the point).

I was looking for a cab for my OB-1 and found an ad from a guy selling a 1x15 bass cab, listed as an OBC115. I will be honest - the price was really good and I quickly pulled the trigger on it, and only afterwards I noticed some unsettling things. Now I'm worried that the cab I bought is a fake/copy, because the tolex is different (missing the two stripes running along the top/sides/bottom that are typical for Orange), and the input plate has no signs, no serial number, it's just black and has two additional 6,3" jacks, apart from the original 2 speakons.

Here are some photos (I can't get the attachments to upload on the forum, so I posted an album on google photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jnp3RSaqJaPhqrkbA

Could you please take a look at the details and compare it to your OBC115? I'm thinking about things like how the inside looks like, are there any elements, or reinforcements missing? Does everything seem to be in place? All shapes and dimensions seem to be the same as original? Is the grillcloth the same? Is the original Orange logo glued in the same way? Or maybe there are some details that would be telling, but I don't have photos of them? The seller is cooperative and could take more specific photos if I ask him.

It's possible that someone re-tolexed it and put it a new input plate, and it is, in fact, an original OBC115, but in case it isn't, I still can back out from the deal. What od you think?

Thank you for your help.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Fake OBC115?

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Looks real except for the tolex being replaced. The badge with serial number would be attached below that control plate which looks right.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Fake OBC115?

Post by Jondog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Doesn't look like typical Orange Tolex, but there were some early AD series Orange tube amps that used that tolex, not sure if these cabs were a thing yet during that time. You can feel along the sides if there is an indent under the tolex where the pinstriping would of been recessed,a thin groove is cut for that to be pressed into. I suspect it is an original cab, if it's not it looks well built using quality plywood, clean routing and solid construction around the baffle and porting. If it was re-tolexed, the tolexing job looks good too, no noticeable bubbles and clean edges with no lifting around corners and joints (aside from wear). If you got a good deal on it and it sounds good I'd think it was worth it. Can re-tolex it if you want to change it.