12" Deep Orange Matamp 4x12 cabs... when are they from?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

z11111

12" Deep Orange Matamp 4x12 cabs... when are they from?

Post by z11111 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 am

I have an old Orange Matamp 4x12 cab which has actually been discussed on this forum before and it is 12" deep. When I first got it, I assumed it might not be authentic, but I was wrong as I discovered photographs of other 12" deep Orange/Matamp cabs identical to mine down to the jack plate and the screw-hole layout on the back panel. The speakers were replaced, among other things, in the 1980s and the serial plate / sticker is long gone so I don't have any way of figuring out when this thing is from.

Judging by these 1970 catalog scans indicating that the 4x12 cabs were 15" deep, I assume these 12" deep old OM cabs must be from the late 1960s? There was a mint OM stack on some collectors site (one of the pictures below is from that) and it was dated 1968 but I don't know how accurate that is.

There is another thread I just found which was posted a year ago where a member also has a 12" deep OM cab, again identical to mine, and was trying to date it. Is it possible that these were only made in 1968 / 1969? Does anyone have a catalog? :lol:

---------

These pics are not mine, but my cab looks exactly the same as these (aside from replacement plastic handles drilled out when it was butchered in the 1980s :roll: )

ShermanHy

Re: 12" Deep Orange Matamp 4x12 cabs... when are they from?

Post by ShermanHy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Did you find out where they're from because I think they look awesome!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: 12" Deep Orange Matamp 4x12 cabs... when are they from?

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:43 am

The two pics are different in that the top cabinets don't have any handles where the bottom picture's cabinet has handle pockets. Not sure about the age... don't think I ever saw this post....