OR 120 need help to date it

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

eddie_dean

OR 120 need help to date it

Post by eddie_dean » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 pm

I cannot attach an image, dont know why.. I have an OR 120 with serial 1629. The two "towers" on the left side are unlikely to most of the pics I´ve seen here yellow ones. It says "DUBILIER DRILITIC 6945 made in england" on it. It has "TESLA" EL34 tubes. Perhaps theres anyone here who can help me to find the date..

error code on upload is Could not upload attachment to ./files/18971_be01f9226b7cb3a8cbfeac9733ffefea.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: OR 120 need help to date it

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi eddie_dean. Welcome.

Need to host your pics elsewhere (eg Photobucket) and then link to them with the 'img' button. Please do, love to see them and help date it.

The tiny bit of online memory for hosting here was used up in about 5.3 seconds some years back!!! :roll:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

eddie_dean

Post by eddie_dean » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks for your help! Now, there will be pics..
Oh what I forgot to mention is that some stupid dickhead painted it baby blue! But on the other hand, it was a good camouflage when it´s been found on the streets when there is, how do you call it, bulk trash day? In german it is Sperrmüll, sorry for my english!

eddie_dean

Post by eddie_dean » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:07 am

The "yellow jackets"

eddie_dean

Post by eddie_dean » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 am

The Tesla Tubes

eddie_dean

Post by eddie_dean » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:14 am

And my 4x12, front says orange matamp

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:18 am

At least the cab is the right colour! (I'm afraid a lot of nice old Oranges were painted - mostly black - during the '80s when they became much less popular. Still, very nice find anyway!)

Those Tesla EL34s were great valves - exactly what I've been running in my '78 OR120M for many years. Hopefully those ones of yours will still have some good life left in them. Don't let a tech steal them for themselves. If they say they needing replaced then fine but definitely ask for the old valves back!!!

The yellow cans are the big electrolytic capacitors. They will almost certainly need replaced, especially if the amp has been unused for some time. A 'cap' job is pretty standard for vintage amps and often (/usually) needed to keep them both safe and reliable if the caps are much above about 15 - 20 years. If there is any sign of bulging at the top than they are definitely needing replaced.

I'd recommend trying to find an amp tech with some experience of old Oranges. They were very different from old Marshalls for example, something many techs don't realise.

Age? Difficult to pin down exactly, especially without seeing a front faceplate. (Is it still there?)
I'd guess that somewhere around '72 won't be too far out, couple of years at most probably. The numbering system wasn't very exact though - to say the least.
http://orangeampguide.atspace.com/timeline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangefieldguide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

eddie_dean

Post by eddie_dean » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes, I checked everything on the net I could find by searching google and a lot of forums. But this Serial does not show up, even not for other amp models. I know from this sites, that orange had a "non-system" from the start to 73, so I guess it´s an amp from this ära. So I guess, I can release the plate (this baby-blue idiot glued a metalplate with doublesided adhesive on the front). If I´m right, it should be a only symbol frontplate, right?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:11 pm

eddie_dean wrote:Yes, I checked everything on the net I could find by searching google and a lot of forums. But this Serial does not show up, even not for other amp models. I know from this sites, that orange had a "non-system" from the start to 73, so I guess it´s an amp from this ära. So I guess, I can release the plate (this baby-blue idiot glued a metalplate with doublesided adhesive on the front). If I´m right, it should be a only symbol frontplate, right?
Yeah, looks a likely pics-only model to me. Is the original faceplate still there? Be nice to have, though ungluing it might be nasty...

PS Aliraza70 is / was a spammer. Their post was directly copied from an old post by Billy our moderator, who will I suspect have his revenge!

Andy.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Yes, indeedy.

patingermany

Post by patingermany » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm

WHAT?!
Damn i wish i'd find an old Orange im Sperrmüll!!!

Gruss ausm Ruhrgebiet!

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.