Date of orange or15

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Icanhazguitarz

Date of orange or15

Post by Icanhazguitarz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi, im new here. I have an orange OR 15 I bought a month or so ago. Its starting to sound a little thin with the gain turned up so im wondering if maybe it needs new tubes. I bought it used and i think the stock tubes are still in there (JJ EL-84). Are there any known problems with the or15s that might cause this? It also has a slight buzz which it didnt have before.

Also, if someone could help me witg dating this beast, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Serial # is 01194-0812

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Date of orange or15

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am

0812 means August 2012 so if it has original tubes, it's time to retube. Start with the output tubes first - you don't really need to replace preamp tubes as often.

Icanhazguitarz

Post by Icanhazguitarz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:45 pm

bclaire wrote:0812 means August 2012 so if it has original tubes, it's time to retube. Start with the output tubes first - you don't really need to replace preamp tubes as often.
Thanks for your reply bclaire!

Can they go bad but still look good? I looked at the power tubes and they dont look bad, but didnt check the preamps. The only tubes ive changed were on an egnater tweaker combo. They were black and you could tell they were done. The OR15 tubes look fine. But there's the hum and they sound weak. Its a barely noticeable weakness though, you can kinda tell at higher volumes.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Unless they turn completely black or something extraordinarily weird, you can't tell visually how a power tube is.

Rule of thumb ought to be if it's sounding weird, replace them before they REALLY go and take something out with it. If you're playing/ rehearsing with it a lot, it would be good sense to retube every year....