Orange 300W Custom (?) 4x12 Lead Cabinet

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

pageyzoso

Orange 300W Custom (?) 4x12 Lead Cabinet

Post by pageyzoso » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 pm

I bought this cabinet at, what I believe was, the first Orange dealer in North America, Xanadu music and Books in Memphis, Tn in either 2000 or 2001. It is not an "old" Orange amp, but I cannot find anything on the internet like it. I am hoping it was one customized at Orange HQ in England. On the panel on the back, the information (watts, type, etc), is written in black marker. Type says LEAD, watts say 300W, and the serial number says 1223. Can anyone PLEASE help me out with what exactly the story is with this amp. Anything would help. Thanks! Jared.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange 300W Custom (?) 4x12 Lead Cabinet

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Jared, welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like a standard Orange 412, though loaded with Celestion G12T-75 drivers. Have to say these aren't the best match for Orange amps as they can't put out the signature strong low mids so the amp sounds (IMO) pretty weak. For that reason more common were 120W cabs loaded with G12H-30s. There is nothing wrong with the '75s which do work well with many amps including Marshalls, but (again IMO) not so well with Oranges. Easy enough to swap them out if needed and sell / exchange for something else eg H-30s.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pageyzoso

Post by pageyzoso » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Thank you, Andy! :)

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Post by Valvelust » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 pm

pageyzoso wrote:I bought this cabinet at, what I believe was, the first Orange dealer in North America, Xanadu music and Books in Memphis, Tn in either 2000 or 2001. It is not an "old" Orange amp, but I cannot find anything on the internet like it. I am hoping it was one customized at Orange HQ in England. On the panel on the back, the information (watts, type, etc), is written in black marker. Type says LEAD, watts say 300W, and the serial number says 1223. Can anyone PLEASE help me out with what exactly the story is with this amp. Anything would help. Thanks! Jared.
Pull the back off and let's see exactly what's in there! :wink:

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:37 pm

...or take a handle off the side and look in there without spending the week it would take to get the back panel off and back on.

pageyzoso

Post by pageyzoso » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Gladmarr, how can I take the handle off the side, without breaking it? So taking the back off would be a big deal, huh? Glad you told me that because I was thinking about taking the screws out and seeing exactly what speakers are in there. I love playing through Orange amp, but I know nothing about the inner workings of them, or any amp for that matter. :)

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:52 am

Oh yeah!! You have a point there. I don't know specifically what kind of handles are on your cabinet. If it's an early 70s cabinet, the handles are riveted on, so you can't take it off. The rear panels are VERY well fit, so it will take a while to get in there, but it can be done. Just be careful/patient. You don't want to rush and risk doing any damage to the cabinet or tolex.

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Post by Valvelust » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 pm

pageyzoso wrote:Gladmarr, how can I take the handle off the side, without breaking it? So taking the back off would be a big deal, huh? Glad you told me that because I was thinking about taking the screws out and seeing exactly what speakers are in there. I love playing through Orange amp, but I know nothing about the inner workings of them, or any amp for that matter. :)
If you have a cordless screwdriver or drill its quick. Also it's good to see if those speakers are wired correctly!

I had a BIG :shock: surprise with my 70's 4X12 when I found it wired all out of phase...