WC model speaker cabs

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Ammar

WC model speaker cabs

Post by Ammar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Hello all,

New Orange owner here, need a quick help with my modern looking 4x12. It has this in the back

I will eventually open and see what speakers are in it, but never heard of this model designation, i.e. WC, before.

Thanks

:)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: WC model speaker cabs

Post by bclaire » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Huh. Never saw that before...

Ammar

Post by Ammar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Oops.... Counter-fit?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:30 pm

It's probably not a counterfeit. The most likely scenario is that the original writing from the factory wore off when a previous owner was cleaning the cab. They probably just relabeled it with the slight error because they could no longer see the original writing completely enough. The other possibility is that back in 2005 Orange would label cabs for artists with a different model designation for some reason. Can you show us more pics so we can see if the cab specs are the same as a PPC412?

By the way, your cab should have Vintage 30s in it if the 240-watt marking is accurate. Orange has mislabeled some cabs' wattage ratings in the past as well though.

Ammar

Post by Ammar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Was kidding about the counterfeit! i don't think anyone would attempt that.

Anyways, opened the jack and found four Vintage 30s smiling at me :D

The cab sounds massive and gives you that straight in your face kinda tone...LOVE IT.

I hooked it to my Blackstar S1 and it never sounded better! Especially since I have been using it through a Blackstar 2x12 with WGS speakers, but this cab is definitely more focused and scooped love it. :D

Now, I bought a Rockerverb 100 MK I along with the cab, it was second hand, the seller said that he never used it as he never got to learn how to play! It was a great deal so I jumped on it.

The Rockerverb 100 has a seial number ending with 0406, I am guessing April 2006? Well, the clean channel is loud and proud, its chimey and crystal clear, love it and exactly what i expected. The Overdrive is kinda weak and quite, not enough gain. The amp is tubed with 6CA7s. I am guessing old weak tubes?

I cleaned the amp guts as it was dusty but only the top face as I didn't remove it from the chasis, guess there is more dust trapped down there which I am gonna get to when I retube.

Planning on a set of JJ tubes including the EL34L, any thoughts on these?

Thanks for your help and glad to be a family member, always was a fan of Orange, had the intention to buy a RV50 MK II with 2x12 next year.....guess this was meant to be :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Yep, the RV should be a 2006 model. If the Clean Channel is loud and sounds good, I think your Dirty Channel issue is likely due to a faulty preamp tube rather than the power tubes. It wouldn't hurt to replace the power tubes at some point since you bought it used, but make sure about the Dirty Channel preamp tubes first. There's no reason to yank the power tubes if they are strong and actually have low hours. I have heard good things about the JJ E34L, but I haven't heard them myself.

Ammar

Post by Ammar » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 am

Orange confirmed that its a PPC 412, and had similar theories about the reason for the WC.

Thanks for your help gents...