70's ORANGE CABINET??

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

JamesMckeown

70's ORANGE CABINET??

Post by JamesMckeown » Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello,

I purchased an orange cabinet from an old boy in Sussex, UK (just south of London) who ran a small music shop - it was about 7/8 years ago now.

I was wondering if someone could help me to date the cabinet. It needs a bit of love, and I want to know how old it is and potential the value of the cabinet before I carried out any work on it and can get it back to it's former glory!

I believe he toured it in the 70's and 80's as an organ cabinet.

It has a serial number: SER NO L.S. 1912

Unfortunately I haven't been able to open the back up yet to check the speakers. Any help is much appreciated > here are some pics!

Cheers.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: 70's ORANGE CABINET??

Post by bclaire » Mon May 06, 2013 6:05 pm

I would say mid-70's. Really early ones wouldn't have had the handles yours has. However, I'd really look into getting the correct speaker jack plate and replace what's hanging out of the back there....

This looks pretty close:
http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v ... ctors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to Black Plastic Jack Ferrule

JamesMckeown

Post by JamesMckeown » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

thanks very much for the info!

I'll open up the back and take some pics of the internals and post them in a week or so! to be continued!!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 pm

JamesMckeown wrote:thanks very much for the info!

I'll open up the back and take some pics of the internals and post them in a week or so! to be continued!!
If the speakers have been untouched, there's a good chance that the date codes on the speakers can get you in a closer ballpark regarding age....

James_Mckeown

Post by James_Mckeown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Billy,

Hope all is well with you and Happy New Year!

I've finally managed to get the back of the cabinet open and found 4 beautiful Celestion speakers in near perfect condition. I've linked some photos for you here: http://imgur.com/a/eEpBn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this information bring us any closer to dating the cabinet?

Cheers,
James

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Yep!

From...
http://www.unclespot.com/celestion_date_codes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DF16 = 16th April 1973 for that speaker. Very likely that the cab was made within a few weeks / months of that date.

Nice! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

James_Mckeown

Post by James_Mckeown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:46 pm

awesome, thanks Andy! now for a little bit of love to get it back to it's former glory!

if anyone has any recommendations of a good refurb contact in South East England feel free to give me a shout!

much appreciated all.

thankyou.
James.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:07 pm

I would just clean it - not do anything else. It's a beautiful cab and shows a little bit of age but not beat!

James_Mckeown

Post by James_Mckeown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm

you make a good point. i'll make sure I replace that jack plate at least though Billy! :lol:

Cheers,
James

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Post by Valvelust » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Beautiful cab with my favorite speakers! :D

James_Mckeown

Post by James_Mckeown » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:48 am

I will try and find the time to clean it up over the coming weeks and post some update pics! :D

James_Mckeown

Post by James_Mckeown » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:54 am

Replica Speaker Jack / Ferrule / Two Pin Corner Protectors / Black Pins & Screws all ordered from North Coast Music

Now to find the best solution for cleaning up the exterior, removing grime/dirt and restoring the beautiful Orange Colour!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:33 am

It is a nice old cab. Don't try to get it looking like a brand new cab. Bit of mild soap in warm water is as far as I'd go myself. (That and getting a decent slip cover to keep it clean. I'd not even replace the screws / pins etc. unless missing. Keep it as original as possible!!!)

Age has it's own character. Did the old trick of brushing black shoe polish on my old Hiwatt head years back and now it still looks too damn new. Not making the same mistake with my even older Vox head! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!