Help Dating a 4x12 cab

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

ebeneezer

Help Dating a 4x12 cab

Post by ebeneezer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Hello,

I recently recovered a pretty tired looking orange 4x12 cab. I have had a look on this site and some of the ones linked from it and the best bet I can come up with is pretty old.

For all the tatty looks it sounds great which is good. If anyone can help with the date, I have had a look for the speaker date codes but couldnt quite work them out!
Also if anyone has a vague idea on value that would be amazing as I haven't made my mind up on whether to keep it or not yet. I have been keeping an eye on auction sites but all there seems to be in the UK are new re issues of this!

I have tried to include as many pics as possible

Thanks

Nick

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Help Dating a 4x12 cab

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 am

It's beautiful. I would take a wild guess from the badge that it is from the early 1970's. That should be the first badge design after the Orange Matamp badges.

Have you found a stamp on the back of the speaker cones by chance? The frame code you show only indicates the speaker model, but not the build date. I don't know what year the Rola labels first appeared, but that would be a clue as well if the speakers are original to the cab.

Edit: That label on the speakers should be the "transitional" Rola label according to the interweb. That apparently puts the speaker date between 1971-1973. The cone codes would narrow it down further though.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

Very old cab- and very cool, too!

Welcome to the forum!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:13 am

That's a very rare cab you have there. As Randy points out, that was how the very first logotypes looked like when Orange stared their own company Orange Musical Industries. These are so rare, that I believe it might be the first of those cabs I see. I think I've seen about two heads. One of them is picted in the book Matamp at 60.

I would guess that this cab could be as early as 1970, but probably '71 oe '72. I believe that all amps and cabs that has that badge were built during that same short period of a month or so span.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:30 am

Since looking at this again, I noticed the logo says Voice of the World, which I have never seen before and has the black plastic handle inserts which mine is lacking. That is a VERY cool cab... and as David points out, very rare!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:03 pm

bclaire wrote:Since looking at this again, I noticed the logo says Voice of the World, which I have never seen before and has the black plastic handle inserts which mine is lacking. That is a VERY cool cab... and as David points out, very rare!
Yes, the construction is pretty much identical to the Ormat cabs (Unlike your OMI-cabs). Perhaps they might even be Matamp built, but Cliff put his own badge on it??
David

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Ah, David is back. Welcome back David!

Don't quite know if we'll see ebeneezer back or not. That was his one and only post so far...

Yeah, tatty but extremely cool old cab. 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Not sure if I'm back, but I will keep an eye open on the serial number forum. You never know what gems will show up on here.
David

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Dating a cab? Well, that can get a little bit tricky. I'd do some background work for a bit and see if you can find out what its likes and dislikes are. You don't want to end up ordering shellfish only to find out that its allergic to it.

Maybe try a movie. Personally, I think the whole "candlelit dinner" thing is way overrated. You could always go play golf, but maybe the cab would enjoy itself more at a rave? I don't know.

Man, dating a cab can be so hard sometimes...
2007 Marshall JVM410H + 1960A Lead
2011 Fender Mustang V + V412
2010 Fender Mustang II
1985 Marshall Lead 12 3005
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2009 Fender American Special Stratocaster
2007 Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Orphin wrote:
bclaire wrote:Since looking at this again, I noticed the logo says Voice of the World, which I have never seen before and has the black plastic handle inserts which mine is lacking. That is a VERY cool cab... and as David points out, very rare!
Yes, the construction is pretty much identical to the Ormat cabs (Unlike your OMI-cabs). Perhaps they might even be Matamp built, but Cliff put his own badge on it??
My bottom cab in my signature is an OrMat cab actually that was missing the badges so I put new ones on it just so it would have a logo... Cliff offered to get me some Or/Mat logos but at this point it doesn't really bother me- would rather have them match I guess...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 am

Then you should have the same handles as Mr. Scrooge here.
If you don't and they are originals you very much indeed have a rare cab as well.
David