OR80R help

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Mark.us

OR80R help

Post by Mark.us » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm

I have just beem given an Orange OR80R amp,he was clearing out his garage, and as I play guitar he thought it would be good, it is! But way to big for my house. I have always been a VOX guy so I am thinking of letting it go.But reading the forum I'm undecided.
Can anyone help with dating the amp. The serial numbrer is 13377, below the model numberORANGE OR80R. The plate on the back has 61787.It has been stored in his garage and is in pretty good condition for what a reckon could be a ?70's model, some minor tears to the vinyl, the grille is intact, and all the knobs are there, the speakers are celestion. Switched it on and the valves glowed, plugged in and it sonded loud! played with the knobs, played a bit more,then it cut out, I am not technical so no idea.
I am not sure how to post pictures, but if I get any replies and can try and send them to an email address.Any help would be appreciated.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR80R help

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Definitely need pictures... the R suffix is not common...

Mark.us

Post by Mark.us » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am

Hi thanks for your reply,can't seem to upload photos, can u send me an email and i will send to that.
Cheers Mark

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 am

Looks like 1976 to me: http://orangeampguide.atspace.com/timeline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Got your email... here are the pix- looks very cool. Interesting how they took the factory holes for effects send and return and converted it to reverb. I'd be curious how it sounded... nice amp!

Mark.us

Post by Mark.us » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Billy, thanks for uploading these. I have given the amp in to a valve amp expert, Alan(he has been doing it for about 50 years!) for assesment and repair. I took these pictures when the 'Head unit' was removed, it is completely untouched since the day of manufacture! Wow I was so excited! would these pics be of interest to any of the forum members? I will send them to you, if thats cool. Also does anyone have a wiring schematic of the OR80 or more usefully the OR80R?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 am

I'd be interested in the pix alone outside of a word doc....

Mark.us

Post by Mark.us » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Have sent the internal pics FYI, it has been fixed, capacitor, new fuse, valve replacement and balancing done, no dramas, but as the unit was out I wanted everything checking over. When the amp was removed I noticed a chalk mark written "C - S.W*****" after the W it was all lowercase joined up just not ledgible I don't no what that means, under the wood panel that the amp is bolted to by the four bolts. I then gave the cab a gentle clean up with a toothbrush, little tears healed, front panel cleaned without losing that all inportant vintage MOJO character.. and it sounds awesome, I have been playing on it all day.. trying it out with various guitars/genres!
Fed my custom shop strat through the high input, with a bit of presence turned up the gain, rolled off the treble, and it sounded sweet mostly Floyd numbers, with some Clapton. I then went for the reverb through the FS put the knob a 12 O clock and it sounded great, really dreamy.It was so clean no fuzziness even when I combined neck and bridge pick up, and poured the volume in.
Next I put my Gretsch through the lo socket, gave it less presence, rolled on the overal tone dialled down the bass, and it also came back with real punch, chest throbbing, mostly 60's standards, rockabilly, and beatles and Seltzer stuff.
Then put the Ric through its paces, Turned the presence all the way up,gave it treble and bass at about 1oclock, gave it a bit more drive and played some Who and Oasis.
I played for about 3 hours and it didn't miss a beat (i missed plenty), I was overall surprised at how responsive it was. especially in the higher range where it broke up nicely...mind you not sure what the neighbours thought.
Cheers for your help Billy,I am not sure whether its a keeper, but I am a fan, boy does it look good..all that orange. Thanks for those that posted help appreciate it.