Smashing Pumpkins OR80 Reissue...date?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

CherubRock87

Smashing Pumpkins OR80 Reissue...date?

Post by CherubRock87 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi everyone! Im excited to say that I just bought my first orange head and it just happens to be the or80 that Billy Corgan used in the studio in the 90's ...sweet score, and it sounds perfect, but i couldn't find out what year he picked it up. the serial is #651. I know these heads can be hard to date but i'm dying to know which album he used it on. Any ideas?

here's the original auction page with pics:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Smashing Pumpkins OR80 Reissue...date?

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:45 pm

That's the first I've heard of Billy using an Orange. It's also possible that James used it or something. In any event, it would have likely been after Pisces Iscariot. I would ask the seller, especially since that was a selling point of the auction.

Edit: It was apparently used on the Mellon Collie tour, so it was probably used on the studio recordings for the album as well. That's according to the fan club site anyways. They list gear that has been used by name and you can select each piece of gear to find out how it was used. They even referenced your auction victory and price:

http://www.spfc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congratulations. I'm pretty jealous, though I'm not really sure why :mrgreen: . I'd be interested to know what kind of tubes are in that sucker too.

CherubRock87

Re: Smashing Pumpkins OR80 Reissue...date?

Post by CherubRock87 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:23 am

Yup, that's what i was thinking. It must have been around the Mellon Collie era. What's cool is that the speaker jacks have almost no wear but the direct out/slave jack is mega scratched up. prolly from studio use which supports the idea that this was strictly a studio piece. Unfortunately whoever he has going through his archives and selling stuff offered no replies to my questions, which is why i'm here trying to see what anyone else knows...either way I'm super excited that it works still. The only functionality flaw is the gain pot which is pretty sticky but it still works. I haven't taken the back off it yet, but i saw through the back grill that the tubes are EL34 x2. couldn't see the brand tho.

Sweet graphic head btw. I was looking at SP tour videos around the MC era and after, and he was actually rocking an aniv. graphic head live. The HF drive on those sure sounds sweet.