really happy about my 71'/ Is it a 71'? GRO 100

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

blasterkid

really happy about my 71'/ Is it a 71'? GRO 100

Post by blasterkid » Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 am

I bought this head amp about 20 years ago.....I wanted that super heavy Sabbath sound...:) was lucky enough at the time to play with bands like tool, Kyuss (queens of the stone age) Nirvana, STP...and a few others...

I never knew there was this website...figured I'd pop this up.

almost sure it's a 1971 based on everything I've seen tonight doing a little research....could be wrong....

but yeah....got this loved it...stopped playing in bands about 10 years back...although I do have a fairly cool job as an artist for Warner Brothers...but I wanted to start playing and writing music again so figured I'd pull it out....was really shocked as I started googling around to see other orange heads.....and this one seems to be sorta a cooler old school Orange (in terms of the older amps and maybe popularity?)...anyone who knows more about it...or how I can dig a little deeper on the head....I'd love some info or help/

I saw the main rep for the company in an interview had said the "pics only" Orange head amp was his favorite...and I believe that's what this would be considered. I am not totally sure..

thanks in advance for any help!

here's a pic:

Last edited by blasterkid on Sat May 28, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: really happy about my 71'/ Is it a 71'?

Post by Sooner » Sat May 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Check out the Orange Field Guide here: http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the Orange section of the Plexi Palace here: http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... 1a3f89f630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

blasterkid

Re: really happy about my 71'/ Is it a 71'?

Post by blasterkid » Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 pm

awesome that sent me in the right direction

I have the GRO 100....I will post more pics this evening of the back...

going to have to research that exact model now...

this is pretty fun.....I always just loved the amp for what it meant to me...but now I am really curious about the history and really getting into a lot of these older model heads..

here's two quick snaps of the back....I haven't wiped it down back here yet so there's still some dust and a little gunk....the cracked nob was unfortunately like that when I originally bought the head amp....other than that it's really in great shape/.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: really happy about my 71'/ Is it a 71'? GRO 100

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi blasterkid, Super nice amp you have there! 8)

Since it is an older amp and has been out of use for a while I'd strongly advise having the big electrolytic filter caps checked by a tech and replaced if needed. These are the one type of component in there with a very finite lifespan, and ironically they last better if used regularly, degrading much quicker if unused for some years at any point. Main risk is that they can actually die explosively which A/ coats the inside of your amp with nasty corrosive gunk and B/ can also take out other components. :(

Things like the valves should be in as good nick as the last time you played the amp though so don't throw them away (or let the tech do so) unless clearly dying!

Enjoy that amp. Yes the 'pics only' are the ones which get peoples tongues hanging out. Classy bit of kit! :mrgreen:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!