An old Orange OR100 (I think) I'm not sure how to date it.

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

fowlerjack18

An old Orange OR100 (I think) I'm not sure how to date it.

Post by fowlerjack18 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 am

Any help would be great guys, Basically the serial number is missing and i want to know if there is any other way i can find out its age, I can email pictures as i cant upload them on here, appparently they're too big.

cheers

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: An old Orange OR100 (I think) I'm not sure how to date it.

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am

Hi fowlerjack18. Welcome! :D

There'll possibly be date codes on some original internal components which'll give some clues. But don't fry yourself by poking about inside as the big capacitors in valve amps can store massive charges at high voltages - even long after being powered down - which could literally kill you.

I'd suggest letting your tech have a look for you while also checking if any electrolytic capacitors need replaced - very likely in any amps over about 15 - 20 years old. A 'cap job' is routine for any good tech and in reliability terms it is totally worth doing with any old amps which will be used and not just put in a museum. These caps can deteriorate, especially if not used for some years at any point like with most old amps, and if you are unlucky they can explode and coat the inside of your amp with corrosive gunk. Been there and it isn't funny!

As to pics, they'd help us a lot. You can download Irfanview which is a great (free) picture manipulation programme, and use it to change both picture file sizes (compression) and image sizes (pixel dimensions) before uploading them.

Terrific amp BTW. Did you see the GRO100 belonging to one of our members Nick (fiveightandten) in the recent (April 2011) edition of 'Vintage Guitar' magazine?
Also check out The Orange Amp Field Guide, and Nicks own Orange Amp info page if you haven't already found them.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!